FEKT-MPC-SYSAcad. year: 2018/2019
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to:
- mathematically describe the main components of gene expression
- mathematically describe the main components of signal transduction pathways
- mathematically describe the main components of neuronal pathways
- analyze network graphs using network motifs
- name the main network motifs of transcription, signal-transduction and neuronal-system networks
- explain principles of the main network motifs of transcription, signal-transduction and neuronal-system networks
- describe experimental mathods in systems biology
Students enrolled in this subject should be able to describe cellular systems, its main components regarding structure and function; analyze systems of ordinary differential equations and apply basic knowledge of probability distribution and combinatorics. In general, knowledge on the Bachelor's degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Konopka, A.K. Systems Biology: Principles, Methods, and Concepts. CRC, 2006, ISBN: 978-0824725204 (EN)
Klipp, E., Liebermeister, W., Wierling, C., Kowald, A., Lehrach, H., Herwig, R. Systems Biology: A Textbook. Wiley, 2009. ISBN: 978-3-527-31874-2 (EN)
Alon, U: An Introduction to Systems Biology, Design Principles of Biological Circuits. CRC, 2007, ISBN: 1-58488-642-0 (EN)
Rosypal, S. Nový přehled biologie. Scientia, Praha 2003. ISBN 80-7183-268-5 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
upto 30 points from laboratories
upto 78 points from examination.
Examination has a written form.
Language of instruction
The aim of the subject is to provide students with basic knowledge of computational models in cellular biology and way of their use, knowledge of analysis methods applied to models in systems biology.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Laboratory tutorials are compulsory, properly justified absence can be compensated based on agreement of the tutor (usually in the last semester week).
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPC-BTB Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory