FEKT-LOSEAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with types of optical fibers, optical fiber manufacturing, construction fiber optic cable, connecting optical fibers and cables. Further theoretical issues of optical transmission networks. They are discussed in the optical access network, optical transport network, the global network for multiplexing optical transmission, measurement and monitoring of optical telecommunication networks.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to:
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different types of optical fibers for information transmission,
- Connect welding optical fibers,
- Become acquainted with the deployment of different technologies in networks,
- Be able to design a local optical transport network
- Acquire knowledge in deploying broadband technology in optical networks,
- Acquire knowledge of the problems of WDM - Wavelength multiplexes
- Acquire knowledge of networks: FTTx (fiber to the building, home, etc.)
- Acquire knowledge from measurements on optical fibers,
- Get the orientation of the problems of distortion - Dispersion (CD - Chromatic, Polarization - PMD),
- Acquire knowledge of sight optical networks.
Profficiency is required on the Bachelor's degree level. Students should have the knowledge of signal transmission. Some basic knowledge in the area of transmission of binary signals and be able to tackle distortions in the transmission. It is recommended for the completion of the course Transmission media, taught in the second year of the bachelor program.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Filka, M.: Optické sítě. Elektronická skripta. VUT FEKT, Brno 2012
Filka, M.: Optické sítě - laboratorní úlohy. VUT FEKT, Bnro 2007
Filka, M.: Optoelektronika pro telekomunikace a informatiku. CENTA, Brno 2009
Filka, M.: Optické přenosy informací pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of TU Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated every academic year.
For tutorials and laboratory classes to 30 points.
The written exam to 70 points.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to optical networks.
2. Types of optical fibers - transmission properties.
3. Theory of transmission over optical fiber.
4. Manufacture of optical fibers and cables.
5.Concentrations of optical fibers.
6. Radiation sources, modulation and detection.
7. Optical telecommunication systems I.
8. Optical telecommunication systems II.
9. Optical telecommunication systems III.
10. Installation of fiber-optic lines.
11. Optical fibrous joint.
12. Measuring methods of optical communications.
13. Planar optical waveguides.
The goal is to obtain knowledge of the principles and technical means of optical network of local, metropolitan, access and transport networks
(LAN, MAN, WAN) and global networks.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year. Laboratory is compulsory, missed lessons will be replaced by appointment with the teacher.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course