Alternative Energy Sources
FEKT-LAZEAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with advanced issues in the field of alternative energy sources, with a focus on technology production and use of photovoltaic and electrochemical power sources. In the field of photovoltaics the course deals with the principle of operation, limits and possibilities of photovoltaic system. Students will receive information about the solar module, construction and production technology, operating conditions and optimization. Students obtain practical information with issues of the batteries, fuel cells, supercapacitors, their principle of operation, construction, technology and parameters. It is also addressed the issue of environmental disposal at the end of life of the plant.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student of LAZE course is able to:
- explain the importance of basic concepts in the field of alternative energy sources
- describe the advantages and disadvantages of alternative energy sources
- describe the basic principle of the photovoltaic effect, list possible materials for the production of photovoltaic cells, photovoltaic limits characterize, describe the basic structure of the photovoltaic cell
- describe the production of silicon substrate and the first generation of photovoltaic cell
- describe the possible future trends in the field of photovoltaics
- measure voltage current characteristics of photovoltaic cells at different operating conditions, detect defects in the structure of photovoltaic cells using the electroluminescence
- introduce the possibility of using wind energy
- classify and describe the various types of secondary electrochemical power sources
- classify and describe the various types of fuel cells and supercapacitors
- measure properties of fuel cells and secondary electrochemical power sources
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VANĚK, J.; KŘIVÍK, P.; NOVÁK, V. Alternativní zdroje energie. Brno, skripta FEKT. 2006. p. 1 - 159. (CS)
VANĚK, J.; KŘIVÍK, P.; NOVÁK, V. Alternativní zdroje energie - Laboratorní cvičení. Brno, FEKT. 2007. p. 1 - 67. (CS)
Benda. V. a kol., Obnovitelné zdroje energie, ProfiPress, Praha, 2012 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Practice attendance is obligatory
labolatory - max. 40p
final exam - max 60p
Requirements for successful completion of the subject can be specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
Introduction to electrochemical power sorces - basic concepts of electrochemistry
Primary cell - construction, characteristics, parameters.
Acumulators - summary. Lead acumulators, alcaline acumulators
Special acumulators, supercappacitors.
Fuel cells - summary, construction, characteristics.
Solar energie and photovoltaic effect.
Photovoltaic solar cells, construction and characteristics.
Silicon photovoltaic cells - monocrystaline, microchrystaline, amorphous.
Photovoltaic systems - summary.
DCAC system in photovoltaic.
Ecological aspects of alternate power sources.
The aim of the course is to enlarge the knowledge about alternate sorces of electric power, possibility and ecological aspects of their usage.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.