High-speed Communications Systems
FEKT-CVKSAcad. year: 2019/2020
The subject deals for applicants of deeper knowledge of Synchronous Digital Hierarchy SDH, basics of Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM and first of all of modern technology Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gbit Ethernet, 40 Gbit Ethernet, 100 Gbit Ethernet and Frame Relay. Students are also instruct about Telecommunication Management Network TMN. Students obtain practical experiences with CISCO 2821 system, stress is given to IP telephony in CISCO networks and to IP-MPLS routing. Students expressively deepen knowledge of signalling protocols VoIP, covered protocol set H.323 and Quality of Service QoS in VoIP relevance.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduate of this subject is able to:
- explain specificity of Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 40 Gigabit Ethernet and 100 Gigabit Ethernet,
- demonstrate bases of Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM,
- reproduce ITU-T SDH Recommendation,
- appraise multiplex SDH structure,
- interpret integration of contributory signals to SDH,
- demonstrate the architecture of the Czech Republic synchronization network,
- demonstrate bases of a Telecommunication Management Network TMN,
- characterize voice transmission using VoIP,
- practice signalling VoIP protocols and covered set H.323,
- operate IP-MPLS routing,
- name important transmission protocols,
- explore VoIP and QoS,
- discuss analogue and digital voice ports
- utilize plan of dialling,
- experiment with high-speed CISCO system,
- demonstrate operational system IOS.
Suitable, but not necessary skills are:
- explain basic terms of digital transmission of information,
- describe most important parts of converged network,
- explain structure of frame and multiframe E1 by G.703 Recommendation,
- interpret basis of digital hierarchy,
- define Ethernet principle.
There is no subject, whose graduation should be necessary requirement for registration of this one.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ŠKORPIL, V.: Vysokorychlostní komunikační systémy. VUT, Brno 2013.
PETRÁSEK,J., PETRÁSEK,M., ŠKOP.M.: Synchronní digitální hierarchie. ČVUT, Praha 1994.
WALLACE,K. Cisco VoIP, autorizovaný výukový průvodce. Computer Press, Brno 2009.
ODOM,W., HEALY,R., MEHTA,N.: Směrování a přepínání sítí. Computer Press, Brno 2009.
DAVIDSON, J., FOX, T.: Deploying Cisco Voice over IP Solution. Cisco Press, Indianapolis 2003.
MARK, A., MILLER, P.E.: Voice over IP Technologies. M&T Books, New York 2002.
DEEPANKAR, M., KARTHIKEYAN, R.: Network Routing. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco 2007.
DINKAR, S., ASIT, D.: Multimedia Servers. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco 2000.
PETERSON, L.L., DAVIE, B.S.: Computer Networks. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco 2007.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, practical laboratories and computer laboratories. The part of this course is a project and a presentation of results in power point. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
0-5 points – activity in laboratory,
0-10 points - written test in laboratory, (optional part),
0-15 points – elaboration of individual study,
0-70 points - written exam with e-learning support, compulsory part of the completion of the course.
Exam is focused to verify the orientation of the high-speed communication systems with sight to SDH and Ethernet.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to High-speed communication systems. Using technology. Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 40 Gbit Ethernet, Gbit Ethernet. Synchronous Digital Hierarchy SDH. Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM. Next high-speed technology. High-speed system CISCO 2821. IP telephony in CISO networks, routing IP-MPLS.
2 Synchronous Digital Hierarchy - SDH. Recommendation ITU-T about SDH, multiplex structure SDH, frame STM-1 structure, synchronous multiplexing STM-1 to STM-4, SDH generation.
3. Integration of PDH 4.th order to STM-1, pointer AU-4/PTS, stuffing of frame beginning, integration E1 to STM-1. Ethernet over SDH. Network elements and nodes SDH. Network SDH structure.
4. Architecture of Czech synchronization network. Quality of digital channel evaluation, area of using Rec. G.826.
5. Technology ATM. ATM cell, interfaces of ATM networks, ATM connection, addressing at ATM, reference model ATM. ATM adaptive layer, ATM quality of service.
6. TMN - Telecommunication Management Network. Function blocks TMN. Physical TMN architecture.
7. Basics of voice transmission using IP. Using of CISCO technology. Principles of VoIP, signalling protocols VoIP, covered protocols set H.323.
8. IP-MPLS routing.
9. Important protocols MGCP, SIP (Session Initiation Protocol), SCCP (Skinny Client Control Protocol).
10. Protocols for medium transports RTP (Real Time Transport Protocol), RTCP (RTP Control Protocol), cRTP (Compressed RTP), sRTP (Secure RTP). gates VoIP, hardware gates.
11. VoIP and QoS. Sound quality for IP, using methods, voice packets, processing by codecs, processing by processors DSP
12. Analogue voice ports, local calling, calling in network, calling out of network, voice ports on routers CISCO IOS, analogue voice ports configuration, trunks, Dial-peers. Digital voice ports, digital trunks, CAS T1, CAS E1 R2, QSIG. Gates control, protocol H.323, implementation of gates MGCP, implementation of gates SIP
13. Plan of dialling. Addressing of end points. Routing of calling and path selection. Handling with digits. Calling privilege, calling monitoring, requirements for dialling plan. Problem termination.
The aim of this subject is providing a detailed knowledge of high-speed communications systems, the backbone of present-day telecommunication network. Student obtain deeper knowledge of SDH and advanced application of Ethernet network protocols with focus to voice transmission VoIP. Practical experiences with the experimental high-speed network CISCO are an integral feature.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance on laboratories is compulsory, properly excused laboratories can be filled after talking to the lecturer.