Electronic Measurement Systems
FEKT-CEMSAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with the modern approach to the implementation of measurement - using and working with electronic measuring systems. It is focused on technological means of automation - standard interfaces, eliminating the measurement uncertainty, using the DSP in measurement. Deals also with selection of components used in measuring instruments.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
-basic modular systems for measurement systems, IEEE 488, IEEE 1174.
-knows the terminology, measurement systems
-can determine sources of inaccuracies in the measurement system
Student will be able to
Build-specified measurement system
-define requirements for software
Knowledge of the level 1 and 2 year Bachelor degree.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
MATYÁŠ, V.Automatizace měření,SNTL 1998 (CS)
ČEJKA, M. Elektronické měřicí systémy. VUT- FEKT, 2002. (CS)
KOCOUREK, P.Číslicové měřicí systémy,Vydavatelství ČVUT (CS)
Normy IEEE,ČSN, firemní literatura (EN)
BAKSHI,U.A.Electronic Measurements & Instrumentation. Technical Publications, 1. 1. 2009 (EN)
CARISTI,A.J.IEEE-488 General Purpose Instrumentation Bus Manua. Academic Press, 1989 l (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Metody vyučování zahrnují přednášky a laboratoře.
Student odevzdává sedm samostatných domácích úkolů.
Předmět využívá e-learning (Moodle).
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
10 points - test
20 points - laboratory works
70 points - final examination
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, course contents, overview of concepts
2. Theoretical Foundations of Measurement Automation - characteristics of the measuring chain, uncertainty of measurement in automated systems
3. Terminology and Models (virtual, modular, EN 60 359) el. measuring apparatus according to standards.
4. Sampling and its properties, aliasing effect and its limitations, multi-channel data acquisition
5. Standardization of automatic measuring systems, history, classification, topology.
6. GPIB (IEEE488) Interface: basic properties, bus organization, the interface function, electrical and mechanical specifications
5. Messages transmitted over the bus, addressing equipment, example of the measuring system based on GPIB
7. Multiple-conductor GPIB messages and status reporting. IEEE 488.2
8. Extension GPIB SCPI. Software for creating and controlling measurement. systems, survey software
9. Modular systems - CAMAC, VXI, PXI, PXI Express
10th Communication measuring instruments to a PC (RS232, USB)
11th Computer technology in the automation of measurement - Digital signal processors, generation, general properties. DSP TMS320C6748, obvody ARM+DSP (OMAP138 TI)
12th Analog devices in measuring systems - criteria for selection switches analog signals, amplifiers (modulation-device with galv. Separation), rectifiers for measuring technology, samplers, A/D and D/A converters
The aim is to teach students to work with measurement systems and propose them to the hardware level, an overview of the standards in this area. Student is able to determine the measurement uncertainty in the system, select a suitable design and build the system. He knows the way to describe the system to forward the requirements for software design.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Participation in laboratory work is required, based on a submission of two projects. After talking with the teacher may opt to replace.