Diagnostics and Testing
FEKT-CDIZAcad. year: 2019/2020
Fundamental concepts and methods in diagnostics.
Electrical, mechanical testing of materials and devices. Tests of climatic resistance.Destructive and non destructive testing. Microscopic, spectroscopic and diffractomectric methods - principles and usage. Evaluation and verification of diagnostics analyses. Diagnostics and testing, technical demands on products, responsibility for defect products. Principles and organization of testing stations in Czech Rep., testing in laws of Czech Rep.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
At the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- explain basic terms and methods in the field of diagnostics of electrical materials and equipments,
- be knowledgeable in basic physical methods for determination of structure and composition of diagnostic materials,
- describe principles and organization of testing in Czech republic,
- describe electrical and mechanical tests of materials and electrical equipments, electrical safety tests and tests of climate resistance,
- choose and apply suitable diagnostics method in practice.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Connor,D.J., Sexton,B.A., Smart,R.C.: Surface analysis methods in materials science, Springer Verlag Berlin, 2003 (EN)
Reimer,L.:Scanning electron microscopy,Springer Verlag Berlin,1999 (EN)
Jirák, J., Havlíček, S., Rozsívalová, Z.: Diagnostika a zkušebnictví. Elektronické texty, Brno 2002. (CS)
Frank,L.,Král,J.: Metody analýzy povrchů. Iontové, sondové a speciální metody. Academia, Praha, 2002 (CS)
Eckertová,L., Frank,L.: Elektronová mikroskopie a difrakce, Academia Praha,1996. (CS)
Koblížek,V. Měření a kontrola v elektrotechnologii ČVUT Praha,1991. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, numerical exercises and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning system. Students have to write a single project during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
up to 40 points during the semester (14 points from laboratory seminars and 26 points from individual work and its presentation)
up to 60 points from written final exam
Final exam is focused on verification of knowledge and orientation in the field of diagnostics methods and organization of testing.
Language of instruction
1) Fundamental concepts of technical diagnostics, survey of methods. Tecnical diagnostics in practise. Selection of a method of technical diagnostics.
2) Electrical measuring methods in diagnostics of semiconductor materials and structures. Methods for setting of concentration and concentration profiles of dopants.
3) DC and AC measuring methods in diagnostics of insulator systems. HV tests, evaluation of tests.
4) Safety tests of electrical devices. Climatic tests, mechanical tests of electrical devices and equipments.
5) Tests of mechanical properties - survey of methods. Hardness tests. Methods of acoustic and electromagnetic diagnostics.
6) Diagnostics and testing. Obligations of producers, importers and distributors at introducing of products to market. Conformity assesment of products.
7) Physical methods for setting of structure and composition of materials, material systems and structures. Methods based on scanning probe, secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS). Sensitivity and resolution of methods.
8) Survey of methods of optical microscopy. Methods for measurement of thin layer thickness.
9) Scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Diagnostics on bases of detection of individual signals.
10) Special methods of scanning electron microscopy. Voltage contrast, magnetic contrast, EBIC, low energy and low vacuum electron microscopy.
11) Diffraction methods. X-ray diffraction, electron and neutron diffraction methods.
12) Spectroscopy methods, atom and molecule spectroscopy. Absorption, emission, X-ray and electron spectroscopy. Mass spectroscopy.
13) Evaluation of results of a measurement. Measurement errors, parameters of accuracy.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with basic concepts and methods from the field of diagnostic of electrical materials and devices, with principles and organization of testing stations in Czech Rep. Students will be familiar with electrical and mechanical tests, safety tests and tests of climatic resistance. Students will receive essential information about physical methods for evaluation of a structure and composition of observed subjects.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Obligatory participation in teaching.