Safety in Electrical Engineering
FEKT-MELBAcad. year: 2019/2020
The main idea of the course is to introduce the students to the following problems:
- legal regulations related to labour safety and health protection in the Czech Republic
- principles of risk prevention
- safety rules for handling and operating an electrical apparatus
- safety rules for the maintenance of an electrical apparatus
- realizing protection against electric shock
- protection of electrical devices against lightning and overvoltage
- fire protection of electrical devices
- first aid upon electric shock
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to perform the following tasks:
- evaluate the risks and avoid any danger posed by electricity,
- interpret the legal or technical regulations and standards related to the given discipline,
- explain the dangers of electricity to persons not familiar with this province,
- instruct persons intending to operate an electrical apparatus,
- apply first aid in case of electric shock.
Students wishing to enroll in the course are expected to be capable of applying Kirchhoff’s and Ohm’s laws to single-phase and three-phase circuits.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KADLEC, R.; STEINBAUER, M. Bezpečná elektrotechnika (XELE, MELB). 2015. (CS)
Vyhláška č. 50/1978 Sb. o odborné způsobilosti v elektrotechnice (CS)
ČSN EN 50110-1 ed. 3 Činnost na elektrických zařízeních - Část 1: Obecné požadavky. (CS)
ČSN EN 61140-ed. 3 Ochrana před úrazem elektrickým proudem. Společná hlediska pro instalaci a zařízení (CS)
ČSN 33 2000 Elektrické instalace budov, část 1 až 7 (CS)
Zákon č. 262/2006 Sb. Zákoník práce. (CS)
Zákon č. 309/2006 Sb. o zajištění dalších podmínek bezpečnosti a ochraně zdraví při práci (CS)
Vyhláška č. 23/2008 Sb. o technických podmínkách požární ochrany staveb (CS)
Elektro v praxi 1. díl: Právní předpisy, základní normy, silnoproud. Olomouc: Solid, 2014. (CS)
ZS ČR. ZÁKLADNÍ ZNALOSTI ZÁSAD PRVNÍ POMOCI [online]. [cit. 2015-02-01]. Dostupné z: www.hzscr.cz/soubor/zakladni-znalosti-zasad-prvni-pomoci-pdf.aspx (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical training in first aid. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The applicable classification components are as follows:
- an in-class test, 0 – 40 points
- a final test, 0 – 60 points
Any student who scores at least 75% of total points in each test is eligible to take an oral interview before an examining board. If successful, the student will be awarded a Certificate of professional qualifications in electrical engineering according to Section 6 of Notice No. 50/1978 Coll. Holders of the Certificate are considered highly qualified for independent operation and maintenance of an lv electrical apparatus (up to 1000 V).
Language of instruction
- Legal regulations, technical standards, and qualifications in electrical engineering: the Czech Republic and other European countries, electrical apparatuses and networks.
- Electric shock in rooms and spaces, shielding and protection of powered objects, safe electrical products and installations, connection of electrical appliances.
- Impact of the electric current on the human organism, protection against electric shock.
- Protective equipment, assessment of operational risks, standardized safety signs and instructions; communicators and controllers, safe handling and operation of an electrical apparatus.
- Fire safety of electrical devices.
- In-class test.
- Immediate first aid and resuscitation practice using a dummy.
- Protection of electrical and electronic devices against lightning and overvoltage.
- Summary of issues for examination before the interview.
- Final test.
The course has been set up to teach (as a part of the required knowledge in electrical engineering) the principles of safe design, realization, and operation of electrical installation and devices. The instruction will be directed towards preparing the students to take the examination based on ordinance no. 50/1978 Coll., On professional qualifications in electrical engineering, issued by the Czech Labour Safety Authority (ČUBP) and the Czech Mining Authority (ČBÚ). After passing the exam, the students will be qualified to work independently in the field of electrical engineering.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Students wishing to be awarded the Certificate of professional qualifications in electrical engineering are required to attend the course instruction/lectures.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme AUDIO-P Master's
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-BEI , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch M1-TIT , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch M1-KAM , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch M1-EVM , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch M1-EST , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch M1-MEL , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch M1-SVE , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch M1-EEN , 2. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge