FEKT-BPC-REPAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with description of the construction of direct-radiator and horn-loaded loudspeakers, the parameters of these loudspeakers and their measurement, the design of different types of loudspeaker cabinets and crossovers for two- and three-way loudspeaker systems, measurement of parameters of loudspeaker systems and their mechanical design. In the first part of the laboratory exercise, students measure loudspeaker parameters and design loudspeaker cabinets and crossovers and simulate their properties using LspCAD. In the second part, they construct the designed loudspeaker system, perform tuning of its crossover and measure its parameters.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completion of the course, students are able to:
- measure speaker parameters
- describe the properties of the basic types of loudspeaker cabinets
- select the appropriate type of cabinet for given purpose and selected loudspeaker
- design the basic types of cabinet for the selected speaker
- design a crossover for a two-band and three-band loudspeaker system
- construct loudspeaker cabinet and crossover for the loudspeaker system
- measure parameters of loudspeaker system
The knowledge of basic laws and quantities in electrical circuits is required as well as the knowledge of the characteristics of electric circuit elements, circuit behaviour with inertia elements, circuit topologies with operational amplifiers and their characteristics, periodical and non-periodical signal spectra, continuous- and discrete-time systems. The student who enrols on the course should be able to use instruments for the measurement of electrical voltage, current, and resonant frequency, waveform generators and oscilloscopes.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Sýkora, B. Stavíme reproduktorové soustavy, 1. – 48. díl. A Radio 10/97 - 9/2001 (CS)
Toman, K. Reproduktory a reprosoustavy, 1. díl. Dexon, 2003. (CS)
Colloms, M., High Performance Loudspeakers, 6th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2005. ISBN 978-0-470094-30-3 (EN)
Benson, K., B. Audio Engineering Handbook. Mcgraw-Hill, 1988. ISBN: 978-0070047778 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in article 7 of the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Lectures provide the explanation of basic principles, subject methodology, examples of problems and their solutions.
- Laboratory exercises support practical mastering of themes presented in lectures. Active participation of students is required.
Participation at lectures is recommended. Participation at other ways of instruction is checked.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follows the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT and the Dean's Regulation complementing the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT. Up to 30 points are awarded for elaboration of all laboratory exercises and 10 points for final test at the end of the semester. Up to 60 points are given for the final examination and it is necessary to get at least 20 points for its successful completion. The exam from the subject will take place in person and in distant.
Language of instruction
1. Sound waves, audio reproduction requirements
2. Design of direct-radiator loudspeakers
3. Loudspeaker parameters and their measurements
4. Horn-loaded loudspeakers, coaxial speakers
5. Horns for horn-loaded loudspeakers
6. Semi-closed and enclosed loudspeaker cabinet
7. Bass-reflex cabinet, cabinet with passive radiators
8. Bandpass loudspeaker cabinet, push-pull system cabinet
9. Crossovers - used Filters and their features
10. Design of active and passive crossovers, their advantages and disadvantages
11. Near and far field of the loudspeaker system, effect of signal delay and diffraction
12. Measurement of loudspeaker system parameters
13. Mechanical design of loudspeaker cabinets
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the construction and characteristics of the used types of loudspeaker systems and with the methods of their design and measurement of their parameters.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
It is obligatory to work through all laboratory exercises in regular or alternative terms to complete the course. Other forms of checked instruction are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional