FEKT-BPC-INTAcad. year: 2019/2020
Using a graphical programming environment, namely Max/MSP/Jitter applications on Windows and on MacOSX, a practical introduction to the possibilities of alternative hardware devices (MIDI controller, Multi-touchscreen, sensoric system iCube, single-purpose hardware...). A practical introduction to the basics of the program Max/MSP 5. Joint realization of simple projects containing audio, video and 3D. Realization of small projects using alternative hardware (Arduino, etc.). Realization of an individual project for credit. All demonstrated tools are designed for creating interactive installations, working with video and audio in real-time, multimedia performances and interactive theatrical elements. Students will apply the relevant knowledge in his or her own work (project).
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to:
- use the graphical programming environments of Max / MSP / Jitter applications,
- develop projects in these environments,
- use MIDI controllers to control parameters in projects,
- use alternative control devices in projects,
- realize projects exploiting external hardware.
There are no special knowledge requirements.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Cipriani, A., Giri, M. Electronic Music and Sound Design - Theory and Practice with Max/MSP - volume 1. Contemponet, 2010. ISBN 8890548401 (EN)
Winkler, T. Composing Interactive Music: Techniques and Ideas Using Max. The MIT Press, 2011. ISBN 9780262731393 (EN)
Margolis, M. Arduino Cookbook. O'Reilly Media, 2011. ISBN 0596802471 (EN)
Dawes, B. Analog in, Digital out - on interaction design. New Riders, 2007 ISBN0321429168 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Lectures have character of explanation accompanied with practical demonstration of interactive technologies and with audio and video samples.
- Exercises support practical acquiring of themes presented at lectures. Active participation of students is needed.
Participation at lectures is recommended. Participation at other ways of instruction is checked.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follows Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT and Dean's Regulation to the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT. Credit is given for application of gained knowledge to art work in the form of individual project.
Language of instruction
1. - 2. Usage of Max/MSP/Jitter applications
3. - 4 Exploiting MIDI controllers in project realization.
5. - 6 Exploiting alternative hardware (Multi-touchscreen, senzoric system iCube).
7. - 8. The environment of Max/MSP 5 applications.
9. - 11. Realization of a project containing audio, video and 3D.
12. - 13. Realization of a project using alternative hardware.
The goal of the subject is to get the students familiar with possibilities of the graphic programming environments, in particular Max/MSP/Jitter on Windows and MacOSX platforms.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
To obtain the credit it is necessary to complete at least 10 exercises during semester and realize individual project in Max/MSP/Jitter environment. Other forms of the checked instructions are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantee of the course and updated for every academic year.