FEKT-BPC-OKOAcad. year: 2019/2020
Students will be acquainted with laser beam properties, Gaussian beam, time and spatial coherence, diffraction theory, Jones´ description of the polarization, properties of basic optical components, laser, laser diodes and LED, laser beam shaping, principle of photodetection and photodetectors, noises in optical communication, modulation in optical communication, types and properties of optical fibers, optical link budget and optical fiber link design, atmospheric transmission media in optical spectrum and optical wireless link design, hybrid and fully photonic links and VLC.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able:
- To describe the wave and electromagnetic manifestations of light
- To describe and explain polarization, diffraction and coherence
- To explain the principle of laser function
- To design optical fiber and wireless links
- To compare individual optoelectronic and optical components and discuss their advantages and disadvantages
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
WILFERT,O. Optoelektronika. Skripta. UREL VUT v Brně, Brno 2002, ISBN 80-214-2264-5 (CS)
WILFERT,O. Optoelektronika. Elektronický učební text. UREL VUT v Brně, Brno 2002, REL 023 (CS)
SALEH, B. E. A., TEICH, M. C. Základy fotoniky 1-4. Matfyzpress, Praha 1994 (CS)
MAJUMDAR, A. K., RICKLIN J.C. Free-Space Laser Communications, Springer Science+Business Media, New York 2008 (CS)
GAGLIARDI, R. M., KARP, S. Optical Communications. John Wiley, New York 1995 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation: 1 tests (up to 10), 10 laboratory exercises (up to 20 points). The test has a compulsory written part (up to 50 points) and a compulsory oral part (up 20 points). The content of the exam corresponds to the subject annotation.
Language of instruction
1. Basic aspects of optical communication
2. Laser beam properties
3. Optical diffraction and polarization
4. Optical components
5. Optical transmitters
6. Optical receivers
7. Theory of optical communication
8. Optical fibers
9. Design of optical fiber link
10. Atmospheric transmission media
11. Design of optical wireless link
12. Hybrid, fully photonic links and VLC
13. Optical communication network
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with basic aspects of optical communications, optical components, optical diffraction and polarization properties of laser beam and laser beam properties. The next goal is to explain the function of optical transmitter and receiver and the principle of the laser function and to analyze optical fiber links, optical wireless links including hybrid and fully photonic links and VLC.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Evaluation of activities is specified by a regulation, which is issued by the lecturer responsible for the course annually.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional
- Programme BPC-IBE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional