Antennas and Lines
FEKT-BPC-ANTAcad. year: 2019/2020
Mobile communication systems are based on the propagation of electromagnetic waves in the environment. Waves are transmitted and received by proper antennas. Antennas have to be completed by a suitable transmission line with high-frequency transmit circuitry and receive one. Wave propagation, antennas and transmission lines can be numerically modeled in computer programs. Lectures are aimed to present the described topics to the beginners in the field.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able (1) understand fundamental properties of electromagnetic field, (2) evaluate propagation of waves in free space and on transmission lines, (3) exploit basic methods for the analysis of antennas and transmission lines, (4) provide overview of properties of various types of transmission lines, (5) technically apply antennas and transmission lines.
Knowledge of bachelor mathematics and physics is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
NOVÁČEK, Z. Elektromagnetické vlny, antény a vedení. Příklady. Elektronický studijní text. https://www.feec.vutbr.cz/et/skripta/urel/Elektromagneticke_vlny_anteny_a_vedeni_Priklady_S.pdf (CS)
JORDAN, E. C., BALMAIN, K. G. Electromagnetic Waves and Radiating Systems. Prentice Hall 1968 (EN)
STRATTON, J. A. Teorie elektromagnetického pole. SNTL Praha 1961 (EN)
ELLIOTT, R. S. Electromagnetics. History, theory and applications. IEEE Press N.York 1993 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Lectures, PC and laboratory exercises, individual project.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Computation of Maxwell equations
2. Propagation of electromagnetic plane wave in free space. Cylindrical and spherical wave
3. Propagation of TEM wave along the transmission line. Parameters of the transmission line
4. Transforming impedance by the transmission line. Smith chart
5. Impedance matching
6. Electromagnetic wave propagation in waveguide
7. Elementary antennas (elementary dipole, elementary surface). Parameters of antennas
8. Antenna arrays. Computing parameters of antenna arrays in MATLAB
9. Specification of individual projects, examples of solution
10. Planar antennas and its modeling
11. Electromagnetic wave propagation in real environment
12. Fundamentals of computational electromagnetics
13. Discussion of individual projects
Lectures are focused on presenting basics of electromagnetic field theory and practicing analysis of antennas and transmission lines.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Evaluation of activities is specified by a regulation, which is issued by the lecturer responsible for the course annually.