Advanced Assembly Languages
FIT-IPAAcad. year: 2019/2020
Protected mode of the Pentium based processors: protection principles, registers, memory management, instruction set. Techniques of programming in the protected mode, task management, virtual mode. Use of the low-level interface Win32 API in the Windows applications - console applications, windows based applications, OpenGL. Programming using the multimedia instruction sets of the Intel processors (MMX and SSE). Introduction to the 64-bit processors.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basic principles of the protected mode of the IA-32 architecture. Development of the applications using the MMX and SSE instructions. Development of the applications in the protected mode using the Win32 API at the lowest level.
Basic knowledge of the assembly language of x86 processor family and C language is necessary. Student has to be able to work with the NASM.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Orság, F.: Studijní opora k předmětu IPA
Zbořil, F.: Strojově orientované jazyky, skripta, VUT v Brně, 1991, ISBN 80-214-0349-7
Hall, R. B.:Assembly Programming and Computer Architecture for Software Engineers. Prospect Press. 2017. ISBN: 978-1943153329.
Kusswurm, D.: Modern X86 assembly language programming: 32-bit, 64-bit, SSE, and AVX. Apress, 2014. ISBN: 9781484200650.
Hyde, R.: The Art of Assembly Language, No Strach, 2003, ISBN 1886411972
Irvine, K.R.: Assembly Language for Intel-Based Computers, Prentice Hall, 2002, ISBN 0130910139
Bistry, D.: The Complete Guide to MMX Technology, McGraw-Hill/TAB Electronics, 1997, ISBN 0070061920
Abel, P.: IBM PC Assembly Language and Programming, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1995, ISBN 0-13-317729-7
Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manuals [online]. K dispozici na
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- Work in laboratory.
- Evaluated project.
Language of instruction
To give the students better knowledge of developing of more complex low-applications. To teach them how to use the multimedia extension instructions of the Intel processors. To teach them basic principles of the protected mode, programming in the protected mode and to use the low-level Win32 API. To introduce the 64-bit processors.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Work in laboratory and evaluated project are monitored and given points for. Missed labs caused by a valid proved reason (health issues or other valid reasons) will be compensated by an appropriate homework.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- AMD/Intel x86-64 processor acrhitecture.
- Extensions and SIMD technologies of processors - MMX.
- Extensions and SIMD technologies of processors - SSE.
- Extensions and SIMD technologies of processors - AVX.
- MMX, SSE and AVX applications.
- Architecture and assembler of the ARM processors.
- NEON technology of the ARM processors.
- ARM programming - emulation, embedded devices.
- Protected mode of the IA-32 and x86-64 processors - registers, instructions and memory models.
- Protected mode of the IA-32 and x86-64 processors - basic data structures, memory management.
- Protected mode of the IA-32 and x86-64 processors - principles of the data and code protection.
- Protected mode of the IA-32 and x86-64 processors - task management.
- Optimizations of applications in assembler.
16 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Development and use of the DLL libraries.
- Win32 API - console application.
- Win32 API - window-based application.
- Win32 API - applications using OpenGL.
- Application of the MMX extension.
- Application of the SSE technology.
- Code optimization.
10 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Individual project: development of a simple application in 32/64bit protected mode using Win32 API, MMX extension and/or SSE or AVX technology, OpenGL.
eLearning: currently opened course