New Headway Intermediate 1
FIT-BAN3Acad. year: 2019/2020
The course of English for intermediate students orientated on both general and technical English. An integrated approach is applied during the teaching of this course. After a grammar section with many tasks highlighting the new grammar, there is at least one activity for speaking, listening, reading and writing in every unit. There is a strong lexical component in the course. Technical texts are subject specific but the teacher's objective is teaching language, not subject knowledge.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To be able to speak about topics contained in the textbook accurately and fluently (with a certain error tolerance). To be able to use basic reading techniques (scanning, skimming, selecting what is relevant). To be able to follow English lessons, to follow instructions, descriptions and explanations, to take notes when listening. To be able to write a formal and informal letter, to send a fax, to fill in a form, to describe a person and a place. To be able to understand a complicated sentence construction and relations between sentences from a language point of view; to acquire new semi-technical vocabulary.
This course fulfils Level A2+ of the European Council Reference Frame.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Pro samostatnou domácí práci: http://www.feec.vutbr.cz/UJAZ/evyuka
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include language seminars and homework. Students have to actively participate in classes.
Compulsory seminar are held every week and students are obliged to fulfill achievements as part of their homestudy.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
75% attendance, fulfilling the tasks.
Credit test: 24 - 40 points.
- listening comprehension: 15 - 30 points,
- reading comprehension: 15 - 30 points.
Language of instruction
Seminar 1: Introduction to the subject, information about the tuition organization, requirements, contents and completion of the course.
Seminar 2: Unit 1 - parts: Grammar+Vocabulary
Seminar 3: Unit 1 - parts: Work skills+Functions
Seminar 4: Unit 2 - parts: Grammar+Vocabulary
Seminar 5: Unit 2 - parts: Work skills+Functions
Seminar 6: Unit 3 - parts: Grammar+Vocabulary
Seminar 7: Unit 3 - parts: Work skills+Functions
Seminar 8: Unit 4 - parts: Grammar+Vocabulary
Seminar 9: Unit 4 - parts: Work skills+Functions
Seminar 10:Unit 5 - parts: Grammar+Vocabulary
Seminar 11:Unit 5 - parts: Work skills+Functions
Seminar12:Revision, mock test + mock technical text
Seminar 13:Semestral credit test
Acquisition of new vocabulary. Developing grammar knowledge. Developing the language skills: reading, speaking, listening and writing. Introducing and revising common phrases of spoken English. Work with semi-technical texts.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Pres. Simple and Continuous, action and state verbs. Vocab: personal information, learning vocabulary.
- National branding. Functions: introductions and greetings, welcoming a visitor.
- Past Simple and Pres. Perfect Simple review, used to + infinitive, subject and object questions. Vocab: work file, dictionary skills.
- Reading: company and job profile. Functions: answering the phone, making and changing appointments. Pronunciation: "s", "z". Saying dates.
- Comparative and superlative adjectives, relative clauses. Vocab: adjectives, personal attitudes and qualities. Techn. text: From dumb pipes to smart sensors.
- Reading: Past, present and future languages. Functions: giving opinions, agreeing and disagreeing, participating in a meeting or discussion. Pronunciation: sounding polite.
- Present and past trends: Pres. Continuous and Past Simple, adjectives and adverbs. Vocab: food file, word groups.
- Reading: ethical consumerism. Functions: advice and suggestions. Pronunciation: "sh (š)", "ch (č)" Techn. text: Data with a human touch.
- Passives: Pres. Simple, Pres. Continuous, Past Simple, Pres. Perfect Simple, Will future. Vocab: leisure and fitness activities, word combinations.
- Reading: Fit to work. Functions: leaving recorded messages, using mobile phones. Pronunciation: stressing important information.
- Past Simple, Past Continuous, Past Perfect. Vocab: gerunds file, personal management.
- Reading: Gap year for adults. Functions: requests and offers, exchanging information. Pronunciation: contrastive stress. Techn. text: Electronic paper (mock exam).
- Semester test.
eLearning: currently opened course