Headway Pre-Intermediate 2
FIT-BAN2Acad. year: 2019/2020
The course is focused on the basic knowledge of grammar: tenses, time and conditional clauses, infinitive, reported statements, articles, etc. The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations is developed as well as the writing of letters, CV and filling in forms. The students will work with technical texts to get acquainted with basic technical terminology.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations will be developed. They will master the basic grammatical structures and new vocabulary, both general and technical.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Taylor, L.: International Express Pre-Intermediate. New edition, Student's Book, Units 7 - 12.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include language seminars and homework. Students have to actively participate in classes.
Compulsory seminar are held every week and students are obliged to fulfill achievements as part of their homestudy.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit test: 24 - 40 points.
- listening comprehension: 15 - 30 points,
- reading comprehension: 15 - 30 points.
Language of instruction
The course for lower intermediate students (BAN2) is aimed at learning basic vocabulary and grammar and at developing the four language skills, reading, writing, speaking and listening. The students will learn the basic technical terminology.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Unit 7: Present Perfect Simple in contrast with Past Simple. Agreeing and disagreeing.
- Unit 7: Present Perfect Simple - practice. Description of graphs. Characteristics of companies.
- Unit 8: Modal verbs, explanation and basic practice. Word formation and work with a dictionary.
- Unit 8: Modal verbs, practice. Nationalities and different cultures. Reactions to invitations.
- Review: Units 5 - 8.
- Unit 9: Present Perfect Simple and Continuous. Word collocations. Offers and requests.
- Unit 10: Present Perfect and Continuous, practice. Future, revision. Asking for information.
- Unit 10: 1st Conditional. Prepositions of place. The age and population.
- Unit 11: 1st Conditional, practice. 2nd Conditional. Description of cities.
- Unit 11: 2nd Conditional, practice. Social responses.
- Unit 12: Passives: Present Simple, Past Simple, Present Perfect, Future. Word building.
- Unit 12: Passives, practice. Thanking for hospitality, saying goodbye. Review, summary.
- Semester test.
eLearning: currently opened course