Headway Pre-Intermediate 1
FIT-BAN1Acad. year: 2019/2020
The course is focused on the basic knowledge of grammar: tenses, time and conditional clauses, infinitive, reported statements, articles, etc. The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations is developed as well as writing of letters, CV and filling in forms. The students will work with technical texts to get acquainted with basic technical terminology.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students' ability to communicate in everyday situations will be developed. They will master the basic grammatical structures and new vocabulary, both general and technical.
Successful passing of beginner English, e.g. on a secondary school or at the FEEC of the BUT or to acquire "10/11 - 20" points in the entrance test (instruction is in Czech only).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Murphy, R.: Essential Grammar in Use. With answers. Cambridge University Press, 2006.
Juránková, V., Sládková, E.: 222 cvičení z anglické mluvnice. S klíčem. MC nakladatelství Brno, 1993.
Pro samostatnou domácí práci: http://www.feec.vutbr.cz/UJAZ/evyuka
Taylor, L.: International Express Pre-Intermediate. Student's Book, Units 1 - 6. New edition, OUP 2012.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include language seminars and homework. Students have to actively participate in classes.
Compulsory seminar are held every week and students are obliged to fulfill achievements as part of their homestudy.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit test: 24 - 40 points.
- listening comprehension: 15 - 30 points,
- reading comprehension: 15 - 30 points.
Language of instruction
The course for lower intermediate students is aimed at learning basic vocabulary and grammar and at developing the four language skills, reading, writing, speaking and listening. The students will learn basic technical terminology.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
75% attendance, fulfilling the tasks.
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Unit 1: First meetings. Tenses, parts of speech, questions and social expressions.
- Unit 2: The world of work. Present tenses-simple and continuous. Verb groups. Making contact.
- Unit 2: Finishing-collocation, describing a company.
Unit 3: Challenges. Past tense-explanation and exercises.
- Unit 3: Finishing-past simple and past continuous, nouns, verbs and adjectives, making negatives, making connections. Sports and leisure file.
- Unit 4: Plans and arrangements. Expressing future - exercises. Hotel file.
- Unit 4: Finishing-words and symbols. Emails faxes and letters. Staying at a hotel. Units 1-4 revision.
- Review Unit A: Units 1-4 revision. Mid-semester test.
- Unit 5: How healthy is your lifestyle? Mass and count nouns, expressing quantity. Food file.
- Unit 5: Word groups. Living in different environment-comparison of lifestyles. At a restaurant.
- Unit 6: Flying gets cheaper. Comparative and superlative adjectives, synonyms and antonyms. Travelling.
- Unit 6: Word groups, air travel file. Transformations.
- Unit 6: Finishing-making arrangements. General revision.
- Semester test.
eLearning: currently opened course