Virtual Instrumentation in Automation
FEKT-BPA-VIAAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course deals with programming of measurement systems and devices with focus on virtual instrumentation and LabVIEW development system. Students will learn the structure and usage of this software development environment from National Instruments and will be able to program PC applications in it. Within this course, students can obtain (after successfully passing of final test) an internationally recognized certification CLAD (NI Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer).
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduate is able to program basic PC applications in LabVIEW. He knows this development environment and can configure it. He can also work with auxiliary programs suitable for configuration of versatile measurement devices (NI MAX).
The student who enrols this course should be familiar with commonly used methods for measurement of electrical and non-electrical quantities, describe the fundamental properties of specialized instruments and discuss the possibilities of their usage and selection of an appropriate sensor for the measurement. Students should also be able to self-study from the available interactive learning materials and have such language skills to understand educational materials in English.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS. LabVIEW Core 1-2 Course Manual. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of education which are described in the Article No. 7 of the Study and Examination Regulations of BUT. Teaching methods include computer exercises only.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Maximally 100 points for computer exercises where students can earn up to 15 points for each of the two written tests, up to 20 points for one individual exercise and up to 50 points for final computer test. Graded credit is given at minimal score of 50 points.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, course content. Basic concepts and navigation in LabVIEW.
2. Troubleshooting and debug methods in LabVIEW.
3. Implementing VI and developing of modular applications in LabVIEW, control structures.
4. Working with data in LabVIEW (arrays, clusters, type definitions).
5. Managing resources in LabVIEW (file I/O, data collection NI-DAQ, instrument drivers).
6. Programming techniques and using of variables in LabVIEW.
7. Advanced design methods for application control in LabVIEW.
8. Common design techniques/patterns and control of UI in LabVIEW.
9. Advanced methods for file operation in LabVIEW.
10. Improvements of already made VIs and create of executables.
11. What’s new in LabVIEW and LabVIEW add-ons (Real-Time, FPGA).
12. Practical implementation of the measurement application in LabVIEW.
The course goal is to introduce LabVIEW development system to students and teach them to use this environment for programming of measurement applications for PC. It includes explanation of the specifics of graphical programming methods in LabVIEW, usage of universal hardware devices for measurement tasks and common methods for their configuration.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Mandatory participation in computer exercises, in case of absence the exercise work can be supplemented with a self-study of interactive learning materials. Two excused absences are tolerated.