Near and on Body Communications
FEKT-MPC-KBCAcad. year: 2020/2021
In lectures, representation of living tissues by numerical phantoms is discussed, and electromagnetic wave propagation along the hunam body is explained. Next, lectures present the design of antennas for operation in proximity of a body, and their integration to textile substrates. Finally, wireless connection of sensors of vital functions is built, and the whole wireless network is optimized.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate is able to design the body-centric wireless network, to design and implement its particular components.
Fundamental knowledge of mathematics and physics is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
RAIDA, Z. a kol. Elektromagnetické struktury v blízkosti živých tkání, Brno: Vysoké učení technické v Brně, 2016. ISBN: 978-8-0214-4419-5. (CS)
HALL, P. S.; HAO, Y. Antennas and Propagation for Body-Centric Wireless Communications. Norwood: Artech House, 2012. ISBN: 978-1-6080-7376-4. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Teaching methods include lectures, computer exercises and an individual project.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Computer exercises (20 points), individual projects (20 points), tests (10 points), exam (50 points).
Language of instruction
1. Numerical methods for solving Maxwell equations, available commercial solvers.
2. Representation of living tissues by numerical phantoms (layered and voxel ones).
3. Modeling of electromagnetic wave propagation along body and out of body.
4. Overview of basic types of antennas suitable for operation close to living tissue.
5. Design of patch-based antennas.
6. Design of linear slot arrays.
7. Design of slot loop antennas.
8. Specification and discussion of individual projects.
9. Textile integrated antennas.
10. Epidermal sticker antennas.
11. Commercially available sensors of vital functions, wireless connection, power budget.
12. System analysis and optimization of body-centric wireless network.
13. Defence of individual project.
In lectures, mechanisms of electromagnetic (EM) wave propagation in proximity of living tissue is discussed, design of proper EM components and their implementation are presented.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Evaluation of activities is specified by a regulation, which is issued by the lecturer responsible for the course annually.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPC-EKT Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory