Discrete Event Systems
FEKT-MPC-SDUAcad. year: 2020/2021
Discrete event systems and their typical examples, modelling, Basic modeling concepts. Petri nets, definitions, types, purpose, autonomous PN, colored PN. Sequence systems. Markov chains and processes, queueing systems.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- analyse behaviour of discrete event systems
- design models for simple discrete event systems
- write discrete event systems model in different representations
- compute basic statistics for queing systems
- analyse simple Markov networks
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested. Basic knowledge of systems modeling (BPC-MOD).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Václavek, P.: Systémy diskrétních událostí, příklady. ET VUT FEKT, Brno, 2008. (CS)
Cassandras, C.G., Lafortune, S.: Introduction to Discrete Event Systems, Springer, 2007 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Knowledge is verified using tests at exercises. Students have to write three assignments during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Lesson. project/tests Max. 30 points.
Examination. Max. 70 points.
Conditions for awarding the course-unit credit:
1. Active participation in exercises
2. Minimum of 10 points awarded for projects and tests
Language of instruction
1. Descrete event systems and models
2. Automata, basic concepts
3. Automata and language relation
4. Petri nets
5. Timed systems
6. Hybrid systems
7. Stochastic timed systems
8. Discrete event systems control
9. Discrete time Markov chains
10. Continuous time Markov processes
11. Queuing theory
12. Markov chains control
13. Discrete event systems simulation
This subject presents the field of systems with discrete character from its essence (contrary to discrete control of continuous systems). This is the question of systems of piece production, of bulk service, traffic systems etc. The subject is interested in modeling, control and optimization of behavior of discrete events. It deals in details with the formulation of the tasks of operations scheduling in computer, traffic and especially in production systems. It gives the overview of using the Witness simulation system - one of the top solutions in the field of discrete event system simulation.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme MPC-KAM Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory-optional