Mobile Network Communication Systems
FEKT-NKPMAcad. year: 2018/2019
Protocol architecture of mobile networks, transport and switching systems for mobile networks, differences from fixed telecommunication systems, control protocols and signalling in mobile networks, maintenance over mobile networks. GSM networks, architecture, connection control, communication protocols between GSM exchange registers, Data transmission in mobile networks, new technologies - HSCSD and GPRS. Transmisssion capacity increasing by implementation of EDGE system. Cooperation among mobile network and the other ones. Mobile networks and the Internet. Third generation mobile networks - IMT-2000/UMTS.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The students will get information about mobile networks from point of view of switching, transport and signalling systems. Students will also be familiar with data transmission services, their properties and their evolution.
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BEKKERS,R., SMITS,J. Mobile Telecommunications: Standards, Regulation, and Applications. Artech House Publishers, London, 2000
PRASAD,R., MOHR,W., KONHAUSER,W.: Third Generation Mobile Communication Systems.470 stran,Artech House; ISBN: 1580530826, 2000
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- 2 tests within laboratories - 15 points each (30 points maximum)
- final written examination - 70 points max.
Language of instruction
1. Mobile networks - characteristics, services, kinds, problems
2. Mobility problems - handover, roaming, identification, information security
3. Service technical solution - speech services, voice encoding - FR, HR, EFR
4. Data transmission - transparent, nontransparent, facsimile message transmission
5. Structure of mobile networks - basic components, their functions,
6. GSM system - evolution, phases 1, 2, 2+, structure, interfaces
7. Base station subsystem - BTS, BSC, communication channels - frequency band division methods, channel types and their functions
8. Network subsystem - MSC, GMSC, registers - HLR, VLR, EIR
9. GSM modems - kinds, AT commands for mobile data communication
10. SMS system - message transmission. Signalling - signalling system, mobile station authentication, information transmission about location of mobile station position
11. Operational subsystem - operating and service centre, network management centre, administration center, intelligent service centre
12. Methods for data transmission rate enhancement - EDGE, HSCSD, GPRS - transmission techniques, comparison with standard GSM system
13. Mobile communication system integration and system for network transmission capacity enhancement for multimedia services - UMTS/IMT-2000, LTE
The goal of this subject is to pass to the students more datailed information about architecture of mobile networks, technologies, offerred services, about mobile network management, about data transmission in mobile networks, etc
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.