FEKT-NIOPAcad. year: 2018/2019
Novel opto-electronics components for communications - DFB and VCSEL laser diodes, fast detectors. Building blocks of integrated and fibre optics, splitters, wave division mux and demuxes, fibre isolators, polarization rotators, circulators, filters, add-drop multiplexers. Optical wavelength division multiplexing, WWDM, CWDM, DWDM. Optimizing of the multimode fibre capacity utilization.
Dispersion compensation the singlemode communication links. Fibre amplification with use of erbium and praseodyn doped fibres. Nonlinear effects in fibresand their utilization - generation and transfer of solitons, stimulated Raman scattering and its applications in fibre amplifiers, stimulated Brillouen scattering, four wave mixing and implication to the wave division multiplex. Modulation an coding for the optical communication.
Optical communication systems for LAN,MAN. Optical communication systems for industrial control, surveillance, CCTv and CaTv systems. Optical communication in telecommunication systems. Coherent optical signal processing.
Polarization maintaining fibres, optical fibre sensors.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Attendant is able to orient himself in the design of optical communication systems, knows to compose the optical communication chain from the suitable components and fitted to the application. The attendant is able to select optimal solution, components and blocks for building up the the communication structure of LANs, MANs, CCTV and CaTV nerworks and telecommunication trunks.
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Y. Chai, Applied Photonics, Academic Press, California, 1994.
Saleh B. E. A., Teich M. C.: Fundamentals of photonics, New York, Wiley, 1991.
Čtyroký J., Hüttel I., Schröfel J., Šimánková L.: Integrovaná optika, Praha, SNTL 1986.
Schroffel, J. - Novotný, K. Optické vlnovody. Praha, SNTL-ALFA 1986.
Turán J., Petrík S.: Optické vláknové senzory. Alfa, Bratislava, 1991.
Tamir T.: Integrated optics, Berlin, Springer verlag, 1975.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
70 pts - exam
30 pts - labs and seminars
Language of instruction
1. New development in the components for the optical communication, DFB, VCSL fast detectors
2. Passive components for integrated and fibre optics, splitters, WDMux/demux, isolators, circulators, filters, ADM
3. Optical wavelength multiplexing WWDM, CWDM DWDM.
4. Optimization of the multimode fibre transmission capacity
5. Dispersion compensation techniques in the singlemode fibre systems
6. Erbium, ytrium and praseodym doped fibre and waveguide amplifiers
7. Nonlinear effects in the fibres and their utilisation, solitons, Raman scattering, Brillouen scattering, four wave mixing.
8. Coding methods and modulation techniques in the optical transmission.
9. Optical communications in the lan/man/wan
10. Optical communication in the industrial, security and surveillance systems
11. Telecommunication transport systems and CaTV
12. Coherent optical transmission systems
13. Polarisation preserving and maintaining fibers, fibre sensors
To show the technical solutions of the optical fibre and free space communication systems, namely with respect to the physical communication layer of the OSI model. The focus is aimed to the telecommunication trunk systems, LAN, MAN, cable Tv systems and the industrial control and surveillance systems. To give the technical and application knowledge on the novel communication components and systems based on the nonlinear optics, wave multiplex, coherent optics, optical amplification, filtering, and dispersion compensation in optical fibres. To give the grounds of the optical fibre application in sensing and measurement.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences