FEKT-KPRMAcad. year: 2018/2019
Transmission media, metallic and optical cables. Basic assembly priciples. Wave propagation in transmission media. Frequency characteristic of links, attenuation, dispersion. Cable protection. Digital system link selection and xDSL systems. Take - over, preventive and fault measurement. Fibre network examples. Measurement of the optical fibers. New networking capabilities WDM - Wavelength division multiplex and networks such as FTTx.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
To acquire skills to be appplied in management, maintenance, and design of big networks using various types of transmission media.
The student is able to:
- Understand the types of transmission media,
- Propose a suitable type of transmission medium for connection,
- Design a topology for information transfer,
- Design technology connecting copper cables,
- Design technology connecting optical cables,
- Perform basic measurements on the transmission media,
- Be able to locate faults on cables.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Sobotka, V. a kol.: Přenosové systémy. SNTL, Praha 1989
Filka, M.: Optoelektronika pro telekomunikace a informatiku. CENTA, Brno 2010
Filka, M.: Přenosová média. Elektr. skripta. FEKT, UTKO, Brno 2012
Filka, M.: Přenosová média - laboratorní úlohy. VUT FEKT, Brno 2002
Filka, M.: Kabely a technologie informačního přenosu pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of TU Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated every academic year.
For tutorials and laboratory classes to 30 points.
The written exam to 70 points.
Language of instruction
2. Inclusion of the course in the study programme
3. Analysis of lilne
4. Types of metallic lines and cables
5. Structured cabling systems
6. Trasmission media and xDSL systems
7. Shortcomings of telecommunication cables and cable non-homogeneities
8. Wireless transmissions
9. Optical transmission
10. The installation and cabling
11. Methods of documentation and search for undegroud cables - metalic, fibres
12. Protection against external influences
13. Bases of measurements of transmission media and the final measurements and locatio
The knowledge of all types of media as info transmission basis. To provide the theoretical and practical applicability of various metallic and optical cables.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year. Laboratory is compulsory, missed lessons will be replaced by appointment with the teacher.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-BK Bachelor's
branch BK-TLI , 2. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized
- Programme IBEP-TZ Bachelor's
branch TZ-IBP , 3. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 6 credits, optional specialized