Computers and Programming 1
FEKT-KPC1TAcad. year: 2018/2019
In this course, students learn about computer network solutions and the potentials of university and faculty networks. Part of the course is to introduce the basics of operating systems, their services, and file systems. The course focuses on practical skills of algorithm development and programming in the C language according to the ANSI standard, to the level of preparation of customized functions and their use.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to:
- use the University Information System and the Moodle learning system
- configure an e-mail client
- connect a device to the BUT Wi-Fi network,
- control the development environment Microsoft Visual Studio,
- program basic tasks in the C language according to the ANSI standard, compile program and use proper functions
- debug programs in the C language and look for errors,
- design the structure of the program.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Pecinovský R, Virius M: Učebnice programování - základy algoritmizace. Grada Publishing, Praha 1997. (CS)
Kabelová, A., Dostálek, L. Velký průvodce protokoly TCP/IP a systémem DNS. Computer Press, 2008. (CS)
Lasser, J. Rozumíme Unixu. Computer Press, 2002. ISBN: 80-7226-706-X (CS)
Kernighan, B. W., Ritchie, D. M. Programovací jazyk C. Brno: Computer Press, 2006. (CS)
Prokop, J. Algoritmy v jazyku C a C++. Praha: Grada Publishing, 2008 (CS)
Raida, Z., Fiala, P. Počítače a programování 2. Brno: FEKT VUT v Brně, 2002. (CS)
Virius, M. Jazyky C a C++. Komplexní kapesní průvodce. Praha: Grada Publishing, 2005 (CS)
Kernighan, B. W., Ritchie D. M. The C Programming Language Second Edition, Prentice Hall PTR, 1988
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write a single project during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for successful course completion are specified by the guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Faculty computer network, faculty UNIX server, E-mail, Wi-Fi.
2. Properties of algorithms, notations algorithms.
3. Design and implementation of algorithms. Introduction to the development environment MS Visual Studio 2012.
4. Principles of high level programming languages. Basic building blocks of program.
5. Simple data types in C. One-dimensional and multi-dimensional arrays of variables. Expressions and statements.
6. Pointer type.
7. Functions, function parameters in the C language. Passing values by reference, passing by value.
8. Management structure. The block structure of program, the scope of validity of identifiers.
9. Structured data types. Enums.
10. Text files, standard input/output. Interaction of the program with the user.
11. Dynamic variables. Linked structures.
12. Numerical methods in programming. Recursion. Sorting algorithms.
To acquaint students with the basics of computer networks, the architecture of a university and faculty network inclusive of services, and operating systems such as DOS, Windows and Unix and their services, and file systems. To acquaint students with the basics of programming and algorithmization, using the ANSI C language and development tool Visual Studio.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.