Digital Circuits and Microprocessors
FEKT-KDOMAcad. year: 2018/2019
Numerical and code systems for digital circuits. Logic functions and their realization, minimization. Digital circuit technologies. Rules for application, design, CAD and simulation. Digital memories. PLAs. Covertors for communication between analogue and digital area. Introduction into microprocessors. Von Neuman and Harward concept of microcomputer. Data presentation. Structure and activity of chosen microprocessor. Instruction set and its connection to hardware. Interrupts. Internal and external memories, input and output blocks, programmable peripheral circuits, I/O circuitry, connection with external components and instruments. Programming of microprocessor systems, assembler. Development and debugging instruments.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students are able to design digital circuits and systems exploiting digital ICs, to design and to debug microprocessor systems, to connect them with external instruments and technology, and to create SW for microprocessor systems.
The student is able to:
- Explain and describe a digital system, implement basic combinational logic circuits;
- Apply the principles of designing digital circuits and systems;
- List the basic properties and types of digital circuits in a variety of technologies;
- Perform basic design of the generator rectangular oscillations;
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of displays (LCD, OLED, plasma) and apply it to the design of electronic systems;
- Characterize the basic properties of memory circuits, categorize and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each type;
- Describe the various phenomena that are important for the activity of the transistor with floating gate memory with EPROM, FLASH and EEPROM;
- Describe the differences between the various methods of processing analog signals, characterize the advantages and disadvantages of each type of AD and DA converters;
- Is familiar with the basics of programmable logic devices and the VHDL language, can create simple applications of these circuits;
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VRBA, R., LEGÁT, P., FUJCIK, L., HÁZE, J., KUCHTA, R., MIKEL, B., SKOČDOPOLE, M.: Digitální obvody a mikroprocesory. Elektronické skriptum, 1. vyd., FEKT VUT, Brno 2003, s. 238, ISBN MEL103
VRBA, R., SKOČDOPOLE, M., MIKEL, B.: Digitální obvody a mikroprocesory - laboratorní cvičení. Elektronické skriptum, 1. vyd., FEKT VUT, Brno 2003, s. 60, ISBN MEL104
VRBA, R., KOLOUCH, J., KUCHTA, R., JAROŠ, J. Digitální obvody. Skriptum FEKT VUT, 1. vyd., Ing. Zdeněk Novotný, Brno 2002, 170 s., ISBN 80-214-2137-1
VRBA, R., KUCHTA, R., SAJDL, O., HUB, P., SKOČDOPOLE, M., FUJCIK, L., HÁZE, J., ZEMÁNEK, M., VRBA, R. Multimediální učebnice digitálních obvodů. FEKT VUT, Brno 2004. ISSN NEUVEDENO.
WAKERLY, J. Digital Design - principles and practices. Pearson Education LTD, 2000
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical laboratories.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every.
Language of instruction
1st Basic concepts of digital technology
2nd Combinational logic functions
3rd Implementation of combinational logic functions
4th Types of digital integrated circuits
5th Principles of design of digital circuits and systems
6th Generating pulses and delays
7th Generators of rectangular pulses
8th frequency synthesizer and exchanges, time base
9th Processing and visibility of multi-bit digital signal
10th Systems for digital processing of analog signals
11th Programmable logic circuits, and VHDL language
The aim of course is to make students familiar with essential digital integrated circuits in various technologies, their logic functions, applications and a design of digital systems and instruments, principles of microprocessors and microcontrollers, creating software equipment for them and a design of microprocessor systems.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans