Analysis of Compositions 2
FEKT-JRS2Acad. year: 2018/2019
The course focuses on the analysis of songs of various style periods as a basis for understanding implicit requirements for their recording.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to:
- analyze the compositions of the baroque period,
- analyze the compositions of the classical period,
- analyze the composition of the romantic period,
- analyze the composition of the 20th century,
- draw implications for the recording of music.
The knowledge of basic concepts of musical acoustics, tempo, expression and dynamic signs, and musical instruments tuning is required as well as musical intervals, scales and modes, chords and basic harmonic connections, and timbres. Students who enrol on the course should be able to analyze song regularities and assess the implications for the interpretation.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BURLAS, Ladislav: Formy a druhy hudobného umenia. Opus, Bratislava 1978. (CS)
FALTUS, Leoš a ŠTĚDROŇ, Miloš: Formování hudby. PDF MU, Brno 1998. (CS)
KOHOUTEK, Ctirad: Hudební styly z hlediska skladatele. Panton, Praha 1976. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Lectures have character of explanation accompanied with listening of recordings and score sheet samples.
Participation at lectures is recommended.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follows Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT and Dean's Regulation to the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT. Credit is given for successful completion of an interview.
Language of instruction
1. – 3. Analysis of compositions of the baroque music.
4. – 6. Analysis of compositions of the classical period.
7. – 9. Analysis of compositions of the romantic period.
10. – 11. Analysis of tracks from the first half of the 20th century.
12. – 13. Analysis of tracks from the second half of the 20th century.
The aim is to enhance analytical skills acquired in the course Analysis of Compositions 1 via more detailed familiarization with the compositions of various style periods.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Forms of the checked instructions are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantee of the course and updated for every academic year.