FEKT-CKOMAcad. year: 2018/2019
The course focuses the following topics: networks and protocols – communication models, methods of information transmission, reasons for usage of networks, basic structure of networks, types of networks, architecture of communication systems, ISO/OSI reference model, TCP/IP network model. Principles of communication techniques – multiple utilization of transmission channels, duplex communication. Analysis of functions and nodes of every layer of communication models ISO/OSI and TCP/IP – physical layer, data-link layer, network layer, transport layer, session layer, presentation layer and application layer.
Nabízen zahradničním studentům
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The graduate of this course is able to:
- describe and explain basic communication models and methods of information transmission,
- list basic network structures and express their performance parameters,
- describe and explain general architecture of communication systems,
- identify differences between ISO/OSI and TCP/IP network models, define this models,
- describe basic principles of multiple utilization of transmission channels and methods of providing the two-way communication,
- explain operation of physical layer of transmission systems,
- explain tasks of data-link layer of transmission systems,
- express fundamentals of operation and services of network layer, including a role of main protocols,
- interpret function of transport layer of transmission systems,
- explain role of session and presentation layers of transmission systems,
- describe selected tasks and protocols of application layer of transmission systems.
Student, which is going to attend this course, should be able to: use several numeral systems and conversions among them, explain and use elementary units common in the area of information and communication technologies (ICT), e.g. data size, transmission speed, etc., explain and use elementary terms from ICT area, e.g. operating system, packet, information, etc.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Halsall,F.: Data Communications, Computer Networks and Open Systems. Addison-Wesley. Fourth edition 1997. (EN)
Peterson, L. L.; Davie, B. S. Computer Networks, Fifth Edition: A System Approach. Burlington: Morgan Kaufmann, 2011. (EN)
Stallings,W.: Data and Computer Communications. Maxwell Macmillan International Pulishing Company. Fourth edition 1991. (EN)
HOŠEK, J. Communication Technology. 1. 2014. s. 1-148. ISBN: 978-80-214-5178- 0.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and computer laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write technical reports from computer laboratories.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Up to 20 points from laboratories (points are obtained from individual tasks and projects).
Up to 80 points from written examination.
Language of instruction
1. Communication models, transmission of information.
2. Structure and topology of networks, architecture of communication.
3. Basic description of ISO/OSI and TCP/IP network models.
4. Multiple utilization of transmission channels.
5. Physical layer of communication systems.
6. Data-link layer of communication systems.
7. Network layer of communication systems.
8. Transport layer of communication systems.
9. Session layer of communication systems.
10. Presentation layer of communication systems.
11. Application layer of communication systems.
The goal of the course is to provide to students orientation within fundamental models and structures of communication networks designated for transmission of classic and multimedia data and within technologies of information transmission that are used in them.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance on laboratories is compulsory, properly excused laboratories can be filled after consultation with the lecturer.
Classification of course in study plans