Machine Design Fundamentals
FSI-1KAcad. year: 2018/2019
Reading and working out of an engineering (especially drawing) documentation from the viewpoints of imaging, dimensioning, accuracy of size, surface quality, geometrical accuracy, function and interchangeability, selection of material quality and semi-finished product. Overview of standardized functional and technological elements. Selected machine parts and assembly units from the point of view of function and drawing documentation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject “Machine Design Fundamentals” provides students with knowledge of imaging, dimensioning, accuracy of size and geometric accuracy, surface quality, material selection, semi-finished materials, and standardized functional and technological elements.
Students learn how to apply such knowledge taking into account function and interchangeability on the drawings of parts manufactured from wrought semifinished products.
Students are expected to have only knowledge acquired at secondary school.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SVOBODA, Pavel a Jan BRANDEJS, 2019. Základy konstruování. Vydání sedmé, přepracované a doplněné. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM. ISBN 978-80-7623-009-5. (CS)
SVOBODA, Pavel a Jan BRANDEJS, 2019. Výběry z norem pro konstrukční cvičení. Vydání šesté, přepracované a doplněné. Brno: CERM, Akademické nakladatelství. ISBN 978-80-7623-010-1. (CS)
Platné normy ISO, EN, ČSN
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit requirements: attendance at seminars, drawing of graphic projects (programs), elaboration of tests and exercises. Student must obtain min. 2 points (of 30) for graphic projects (programs) and tests. Student must fulfill all four conditions. Exam includes a multiple-choice PC test with 70 points as maximum. Final evaluation reflects student’s work at seminars (max. 30 points) and the exam (max. 70 points). Final classification according to ECTS.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course “Fundamentals of Design” is to introduce the requirements of component drawing. The students should be able to apply these requirements.
Emphasis is placed on ensuring function and interchangeability. The goal of the subject is to explain that creation of component drawing is a kind of synthesis of its appurtenances and that creation of technical documentation is (and will remain) the fundamental communication instrument of mechanical engineer.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is mandatory and controlled. It is not necessary to compensate for absence from max. two seminars.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B3A-P Bachelor's
branch B-PDS , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
branch B-MTI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
branch B-MAI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
branch B-MET , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
branch B-FIN , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme B3S-P Bachelor's
branch B-S1R , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
branch B-STI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional
branch B-VSY , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
branch B-KSB , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Imaging in views.
2. Imaging in sectional views and cross sections. Dimensioning.
3. Length dimension tolerance - basic terms.
4. Length dimension tolerance - choice and writing.
5. Surface structure - basic terms and writing.
6. Geometric tolerance - overview and basic terms.
7. Geometric tolerances - bases. Hole spacing dimensioning on straight lines.
8. Hole spacing dimensioning of a circle. Basic rule of tolerancing and dependant tolerances.
9. Functional and technological dimensioning.
10. Screw threads.
11. Technical materials.
12. Machine parts - overview, joints and bearings..
13. Machine parts - transmissions and gears.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
doc. Ing. Jan Brandejs, CSc.
Ing. Ondřej Červinek
Ing. Jana Doňarová, Ph.D.
Ing. Karel Fila
Ing. Dana Foltýnová
Ing. Filip Jeniš
Ing. Josef Klimeš
Ing. Martin Krčma
Ing. Daniel Kvarda
doc. Ing. Pavel Mazal, CSc.
Ing. Libor Nohál, Ph.D.
doc. Ing. Petr Svoboda, Ph.D.
Ing. Pavel Svoboda, CSc.
Ing. Miloslav Zahradníček, CSc.
1. Particulars of part drawing.
2. Imaging in views. Assignment of 1st drawing (program P1) and compositions (PÚ).
3. Imagery in sectional views.
4. Continuous check No1. Assignment of P2.
5. Length dimension tolerance. Delivery of P1.
6. Selected functional and technological elements of machine parts.
7. Assignment of P3. Geometric tolerances - choice of values, relative geometric accuracy.
8. Delivery of P2. Hole spacing dimensioning.
9. Continuous check No2. Overview of normalization of metal materials.
10. Geometric tolerances.
11. Delivery of P3. Functional and technological dimensioning.
12. Continuous check No3. Check of compositions (PÚ).
13. Completeness check of programs and PÚ. Course-unit credits.