Selected Chapters from Fundamentals of Design
FSI-0ZKAcad. year: 2018/2019
Reading and working out of an engineering (especially drawing) documentation from the viewpoints of imagery, dimensioning, accuracy of size, surface finishing, geometrical accuracy, function and interchangeability, material quality selection, semi-finished product and standardized functional and technological elements. Dimensioning optimization. Selected machine parts and assembly units from the point of view of function and drawing documentation. Overview of basic manufacturing technologies.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject provides students with knowledge of imagery, dimensioning, accuracy of size and geometric accuracy, surface finishing, material selection, semi-finished materials, and standardized functional and technological elements. Students learn to apply such knowledge taking into account function and interchangeability of parts manufactured from worked semi-finished materials on the drawing. Possibility of graphic editors utilization.
Students are expected to have only knowledge acquired at secondary school.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SVOBODA, Pavel, BRANDEJS, Jan a DVOŘÁČEK, Jiří. Základy konstruování. Vyd. 6. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2016, 230 s. ISBN 978-80- 7204-921-9. (CS)
SVOBODA, Pavel a BRANDEJS, Jan. Výběry z norem pro konstrukční cvičení. Vyd. 5. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2016, 234 s. ISBN 978-80- 7204-838-0. (CS)
GIESECKE, Frederick E et al. Technical drawing with engineering graphics. 14th ed. Boston: Prentice Hall, 2012, 1 sv., ISBN 978-0-13-509049-7. (EN)
JENSEN, Cecil Howard, Jay D HELSEL a Dennis R SHORT. Engineering drawing & design. 7th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2008, 1 v. ISBN 978-0-07-352151-0. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through interactive lectures, explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Students may partially influence the content of lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit requirements: attendance at lectures.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to help students without previous experience with the study of mechanical engineering. The lectures are composed to explain the topics that students cannot learn in the course “Machine Design Fundamentals”. At the same time they prepare for written tests and the exam of that course.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is checked.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B3A-P Bachelor's
branch B-PDS , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, optional (voluntary)
branch B-MTI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, optional (voluntary)
branch B-MAI , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, optional (voluntary)
branch B-MET , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, optional (voluntary)
branch B-FIN , 1. year of study, winter semester, 0 credits, optional (voluntary)
- Programme B3S-P Bachelor's
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Orthographic projection. Rectangular projection, method 1, 3.
2. Sectional views. Dimensioning (completeness, explicitness, clarity).
3. Dimensioning special shapes (arc, bevel, cone ...). Preparation for the continuous control test No. 1 in the course “Fundamentals of Design”.
4. Length dimension tolerance.
5. Surface structure. Basic terms.
6. Geometric tolerance of shape, orientation, position and run out. Bases.
7. Geometric tolerances. General tolerances.
8. Shaped elements - function and drawing. Preparation for the continuous control test No. 2 in the course “Fundamentals of Design”.
9. Screw threads. Basic terms, metric screw thread tolerance system.
10. Functional and technological dimensioning (suitability of dimensioning).
11. Hole position dimensioning. Functional and non-functional holes – different ways of dimensioning.
12. Selection and marking of structural materials.
13. Selected parts of machines. Preparation for the exam in the course “Fundamentals of Design”.
eLearning: opened course