Designing of Thermal Power Plant Equipment
FSI-FSEAcad. year: 2018/2019
The course is concerned with the design, construction and operation of power plants. Aslo dealt with are: the main types of steam and hot-water boilers, waste incinerators-boilers, steam and gas turbines and heat exchangers in power engineering, machine equipment of power plants.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will get theoretical knowledge about design of boiler, heat exchanger and about operation condition of components of these devices. They will be also made familiar with methods of increasing reliability and efficiency together with impacts on the environment.
Basics of thermo mechanics and heat transfer.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Budaj,F.: Parní kotle,podklady pro tepelný výpočet,VUT v Brně, skriptum 2000
BALÁŠ, Marek. Kotle a výměníky tepla. Vyd. 2. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2013. ISBN 978-80-214-4770-7.
DLOUHÝ, Tomáš. Výpočty kotlů a spalinových výměníků. Vyd. 3. V Praze: Nakladatelství ČVUT, 1999.
ČERNÝ, Václav, Břetislav JANEBA a Jiří TEYSSLER. Parní kotle: technický průvodce svazek 32. Praha: SNTL-Nakladatelství technické literatury, 1983. Technický průvodce (SNTL-Nakladatelství technické literatury).
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Exam - written, verbal correction, if any - are eligible for the oral test is obtained accreditation
Credits - award conditions: participation and active work on the exercises, a written test.
Language of instruction
Students will be made familiar with construction and operation of steam and hydrothermal boilers and heat exchangers used in power engineering. They will get basic knowledge of thermal, hydraulic and aerodynamic calculation of boilers and heat exchangers. They will also learn of modern concepts of these energy devices.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is not compulsory, but is recommended. Attendance at seminars is required (At least 75%), compensation of a missed seminar by studying literature.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Solid fuels, types, properties.
2. Liquid, gas, fuel waste, types, properties, change the fuel.
3. Stoichiometric calculations of solid and liquid and gaseous fuels - the quantity of air and combustion gases.
4. The thermal efficiency, heat balance, the loss of the boiler, fireplace comparison criteria.
5. Classification of boilers in terms of combustion of solid fuels; slatted boilers, fluidized bed boilers.
6. Boilers powder, boilers for combustion of liquid and gaseous fuels and waste heat boilers.
7. Steam boilers
8. Boiler on waste, flow-through boilers, small boilers at TUV.
9. Emissions, water treatment, accessories.
10. Boilers for biomass gasification.
11. Exchangers - heat transfer, calculation.
12. Exchangers - types, konstukční solutions.
13. The operating characteristics of boilers and heat exchangers - inputs, low and high temperature corrosion, abrasion, structural measures to increase the reliability and thermal efficiency.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. - 2. Working media used in power equipment. Ideal / real gases, gas mixtures, water and water vapor. Physical properties of working media.
3. - 4. Heat exchangers in heat and process diagrams, basic principles of heat transfer and classification of heat exchangers. Heat exchanger balance, temperature gradient. Design and control calculation of heat exchange surfaces.
5. - 6. Heat convection, criteria, natural and forced convection, heat transfer during phase change.
7. - 8. Combined heat transfer. Convection, conduction and radiation and combinations. Combined heat transfer through the plane and cylindrical wall, heat flow, partial temperature calculation.
9. - 10. Design calculation of the heat exchanger tube in the pipe.
11. - 12. Design / Check Calculation of the Supply Water Heater.
eLearning: opened course