Technique and Technology of Heat Treatment
FSI-DTZAcad. year: 2018/2019
The subject has to teach the students the basic techniques used in current hardening shops.It fils up the subjects Material science I and II, Engineering materials and other ones, with knowledge of media, techniques and plants of the heat treatment. It speaks about hardening shops organization, ekology aspects of clasical and newly developed techniques and plants, quality controll, e.t.c..
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject brings to the students a basic knowledge of heat and chemical-heat treatment of the ferous and non ferous alloys and a basic overwiew of the used plants and media.
The material science and physical metalurgy in the extent lectured duering the passed study, with rlationship to physics, hydromechanics and mathematics
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Ryš, Cenek, Mazanec, Hrbek: Nauka o materiálu I/4. Železo a jeho slitiny. Academia Praha 1975
Pluhař a kolektiv: Nauka o materiálech. Vysokoškolská učebnice. SNTL 1989
Eckstein, Hans Joachim: Technologie der warmebehandlung von stahl. VEB Deutscher Verlag fűr Grundstoffindustrie Leipzig, 1977
Skočovský, P. – Durmis, I.: Technológia tepelného spracovania kovov. Skripta VŠDS v Žilině, Alfa 1984
Dorazil a kolektiv: Nauka o materiálu 1 . Skripta VUT FS v Brně
Physical metalurgy Handbook. Sinha, Kumar Anil; Mc Graw Hill Handbooks 2002. 712 s., ISBN 0-07-057986-5
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
To acquire a credit, a student should to take part at all of the seminars and laboratory works, his active approach to the study and all of the written protocols refering, especialy with respect to the knowledge of their meaning. Eventualy absence should be compensated with the aditional work on base of the teachers compliance. The examination is take placed in written and verb noun form. A student should show a good overwiew and some detail knowledge of the topics examined.
Language of instruction
The aim of the subject is to acquaint the students with the basic forms of technigues, media, equipment and other means used in current plants of heat treatment. The task of the subject is to reach of fully understanding of heat treatment importance for machinery production, and acquisition of basic production procedures.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The seminars and laboratory works are obligatory. In case of the absence, it is necessary to compensate the theme after the teacher compliance. In case of the absence which is planed (some serious family merits f.eg.), it is necessary to agree the matter with the teacher beforehand
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. The diagram of heat treatment as a systemic approach to the heat treatment technigue creation
2. The selected high temperature propertes of metals
3. The heat treatment media. The heating media. The oxygen iron chemical reactions. A stain origin
4. The protection atmospheres.The nature of their protection effects
5. The active protecting atmospheres. The basic chemical reactions in the Fe-C-H-O system and their equilibrium constants
6. The imperfect burning of hydrocarbons. Exothermic and endothermic atmospheres
7. The atmosphere controll. Carbon potential. Dew point and oxygen probe.
8. The carburising atmospheres. The nert protecting atmospheres
9. The vacuum heating and furnaces. Non conventional heating
10. Quenching media. The basic types and its tests. The quenching media without a change of condition
11. The quenching media with a change of condition
12. Heat treatment plants. Furnaces and quenching facilities
13. Auxiliary equipment of hardening rooms. Cleaning technigue and technology.
labs and studios
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. The heat treatment diagram. 2. The selected technigue calculations. 3. A temperature field of furnace measurement. 3. The temperature measurement and controll means. 4. The quenching media and the shape distortionn I. 5. The quenching media and the shape distrtion II. 6. The atmosphere measurement. Dew point. 7. The Oxygen probe.its design and use 8. The hardness measurement in hardening rooms. Means and use. 9. The faults of heat and chemical heat treatment. 10. The faults of heat and chemical heat treatment Samples and light microscopy. 11. Test. 12.The ungreasing and other auxiliary media in hardening rooms. 13. The hardening room organization.The credit confirmation.
eLearning: currently opened course