Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic technology
CESA-SDTTAcad. year: 2019/2020
The topics in this course cover operating principles and construction of diagnostic devices and systems for recording of electrical biosignals and non-electric characteristics from human body (ECG,EEG,EMG, EGG, impedance measurements, recording of blood pressure, measurement of blood flow, pletysmography, temperature measurment). The LabView programming environment is used for practicle experiences with acquisition and processing of different biosignal. The Vernier sensors and acquisition cards are used for this purpose as well.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will obtain knowledge about principles and properties of selected medical instrumentation used for diagnosis. Student will be able to apply this knowledge during data/signal interpretation or during specification and selection process of medical instruments. The student is able to:
- describe principles of bio-amplifiers,
- list and dicussed their properties,
- describe and explain principles of instrumentations for ECG, EEG and EMG sensing,
- describe and explain methods and devices for non-invasive and invasive blood pressure measurement,
- list methods for blood flow measurement,
- explain dilution method for blood flow measurement,
- apply Doppler principle for blood flow measurement,
- define principle of methods in pletysmography,
- discuss and define source of errors in selected diagnostic approaches,
- explain term "vital function monitoring"
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
NAVRÁTIL L., ROSINA,J.: Medicínská biofyzika, Grada, 2005 (CS)
CHMELAŘ M.: Lékařská přístrojová technika 1, Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 1995 (CS)
ROZMAN J a kol.: Elektronické přístroje v lékařství, Academia, 2006 (CS)
BRONZINO J.D. The Biomedical engineering Handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton 1995 (EN)
KOLÁŘ R: Lékařská diagnostická technika, elektronická skripta VUT, 2007 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write three assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Laboratory work - 0 - 20 points.
Test - 0 - 30 points.
Written exam - 0 - 50 points.
The test is oriented to basic terminology.
The written exam verify knowledge in principle of medical instrumentation.
Language of instruction
1. The recording electrodes, polarization, types of electrodes.
2. Amplifiers for biosignals acquisition. Requirements on amplifier and its design.
3. Electrocardiography, properties of ECG signal, principle of sensing and design of electrocardiograph.
4. Electroencephalography, properties of EGG signal, principle of sensing and design of electroencephalograph.
5. Electromyography, properties of EMG signal, principle of sensing and design of electromyograph. Stimulators.
6. Phonocardiography - sensing of heart's sounds, properties of signal, design of electrophonograph.
7. Pletysmography - impedance and optic principles.
8. Blood pressure monitoring - invasive and non-invasive approach.
9. Instrumentation for respiratory monitoring, apnea alarm.
10. Blood flow monitoring.
11. Principles of temperature sensing.
12. Monitoring of the vital functions and its link to hospital information system.
The aim of this course is to provide a fundamental knowledge in acquisition of basic electric and non-electric biosignals and to provide a description and meaning about parameters provided by manufacturers of different medical devices.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Laboratory exercises are obligatory. Excused absence can be substituted.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-STC Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
The other activities
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course