FEKT-MPC-AKPAcad. year: 2019/2020
The course deals with the propagation of sound in closed space, the solution of the wave equation in closed space, wave, geometric and statistical acoustics, measurement of the reverberation time and impulse response of the space, objective criteria for evaluation of listening space quality, design of acoustic absorption and dispersion elements and modern methods of evaluation of acoustics of listening Spaces such as 3D impulse response of the space, SIRR method and acoustic studies with virtual orchestra. Laboratory exercises are focused on the design and simulation of acoustics of selected types of listening spaces in EASE and EASERA programs.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On completion of the course, students are able to:
- explain sound propagation in enclosed space,
- measure the reverberation time and the impulse characteristic of the space,
- calculate objective criteria for the quality assessment of listening spaces,
- design basic absorption and diffusion elements to adjust the reverberation time of listening spaces,
- create a simulation of the distribution of sound pressure using geometric and numerical methods,
- propose solutions for acoustic modifications of newly realized and existing listening spaces.
The knowledge of basic physical laws and quantities of the sound field is required as well as the knowledge of laws and quantities in electrical circuits, characteristics of electric circuit elements, circuit behaviour with inertia elements, fundamentals of electro-mechanic and electro-acoustics analogy, periodical and non-periodical signal spectra, random variables and basic terms from the area of statistics
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
GEIST, B. Akustika - jevy a souvislosti v hudební teorii a praxi. 1. Praha: MUZIKUS, 2005. ISBN 80-86253-31-7. (CS)
VONDRÁŠEK, M., ANTEK, M. „Porovnání objektivních kritérií kvality koncertních sálů“. Akustické listy, 11 (3), září 2005, s. 9 –18. (CS)
KOLMER, F., KYNCL, J. Prostorová akustika. 2, vyd. Praha: Státní nakladatelství technické literatury, 1982, 242 s., ISBN 0451480 (CS)
ČSN EN ISO 3382: Akustika – Měření parametrů prostorové akustiky. Česká technická norma, Český normalizační institut, únor 2009. (CS)
ČSN EN ISO 18233: Akustika – Aplikace nových akustických metod měření stavebních konstrukcí, v budovách a v místnostech. Česká technická norma, Český normalizační institut, listopad 2006. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in article 7 of the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Lectures provide explanations of the basic principles, subject methodology, examples of problems and their solutions.
- Laboratory exercises support practical mastering of the themes presented in lectures. Active participation of students is required.
Participation in lectures is recommended. Participation in other ways of instruction is checked.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follow the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations and Dean's Regulation complementing the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Up to 40 points can be obtained for elaboration of projects in laboratory exercises. The minimal scope of the elaboration of projects are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year. Up to 60 points are given for the final examination, and it is necessary to get at least 20 points for its successful completion.
Language of instruction
1. Spreading of sound in enclosed space, diffusion reflection, diffraction, solution of wave equation in closed space, wave acoustics.
2. Geometric acoustics, sound image method of simulation, ray-tracing. Statistical acoustics, reverberation.
3. Measurement of reverberation time and impulse response of the space, energy decay curve and energy decay relief.
4. Objective criteria for assessing the quality of listening spaces.
5. Structures for acoustic absorption and diffusion, oscillating panels, Helmholtz resonator.
6. 3D impulse response of the space, SIRR method, acoustic study with virtual orchestra.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the methods of sound propagation in enclosed space, design of acoustic absorption and scattering elements, measurement of reverberation time and impulse characteristics of space and calculation of objective criteria of acoustics of listening space.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
It is obligatory to undergo all laboratory exercises in regular or alternative terms to complete the course. Other forms of checked instruction are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
Exercise in computer lab
21 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
18 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course