Optoelectronics and Optical Communications
FEKT-BPC-OOKAcad. year: 2018/2019
Essentials of the optical and opto-electronic components for communication and signal processing. Light generation, emission and absorption. Basics of laser technology, light amplification, gass discharge lasers, optically pumped lasers, construction, features, applications. Principles and features of the semiconductor electro-optic components , non-coherent emittors, semiconductor lasers, optical detectors. Principles of the light propagation in isotropic and anisotropic matters, atmospheric light propagation. Planar and fibre waveguides. Principles of the optical transmission of the analog and digital signals. Main parameters of the fibre optic transmission link and atmospheric laser links. Optical communication in LAN and telco networks. Technology principles of fotonics in data processing and sensing.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Graduate knows the principles and main technical approaches of the opto-electronic components and systems in the communication technology, informatics and sensing. He can judge the suitability of the applications of the systems in the individual projects and is able to take a qualified share in the system design, installation and service.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Y. Chai, Applied Photonics, Academic Press, California, 1994.
Saleh B. E. A., Teich M. C.: Fundamentals of photonics, New York, Wiley, 1991.
Čtyroký J., Hüttel I., Schröfel J., Šimánková L.: Integrovaná optika, Praha, SNTL 1986.
Schroffel, J. - Novotný, K. Optické vlnovody. Praha, SNTL-ALFA 1986.
Turán J., Petrík S.: Optické vláknové senzory. Alfa, Bratislava, 1991.
Tamir T.: Integrated optics, Berlin, Springer verlag, 1975.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every.
Language of instruction
1. Principles of optical and optoelectronic components for communications and signal processing
2. Propagation of light in izotropic and anizotropic media
3. Light generation, emission and absorption
4. Laser technique and technology, amplification of light, gass and solid state lasers
5. Semiconductor electro-optic components, principles
6. Semiconductor light emitting devices
7. Semiconductor light detectors, photovoltaic conversion
8. Propagation of light in the atmosphere, Gauss beam
9. Fundamentals of planar and fibre optic waveguides
10. Optical loss and dispersion in the fibre waveguides
11. Parameters of fibre optic link
12. Optical communication systems in data transmission and telecommunications
13. Fundamentals of photonic in signal processing and sensing
Get acquainted with the principles of the opto-electronic components and systems for information technology, communications and sensing. To show the typical structures and applications of the optical fibres, non-coherent light emmiters, lasers, laser diodes and pasive waveguide components in the communication syystems. To put the grounds of the design and construction of the optical communication links.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.