FEKT-BPC-ALGAcad. year: 2018/2019
Overview of fundamental data structures and their exploitation.
Principles of dynamic memory allocation.
Specification of abstract data types (ADT).
Specification and implementation of ADT's: lists, stack and its exploition, queue, set, array, searching table, graph, binary tree.
Algorithms upon the binary trees.
Searching: sequential, in the ordered and in not ordered array, searching with the guard (sentinel), binary search, search tree,
balanced trees (AVL). Searching in hash-tables.
Ordering (sorting), principles, sorting without the moving of items, sorting with multiple keys. Most common methods of sorting: Select-sort, Bubble-sort, Heap-sort, Insert-sort and its variants, Shell-sort, recursive and non-recursive notation of the Quick sort, Merge-sort,List-merge-sort, Radix-sort.
Recursion and backtrack algorithms. Searching the patterns in the text. Proving of correctness of programs, construction of proved programs.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student acquaints with the methods of analysing and designing simple computer algorithms. Student will introduced to the fundamental concepts of programming languages. Student gets up how to write programs in high programming languages. Student gets up how to use EBNF to describe programming language syntax. Student acquires basic English terminology of programming, syntax, and semantics of programming language.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Honzík, J.,Hruška, T.,Máčel, M.: Vybrané kapitoly z programovacích technik, Ed.stř.VUT Brno,1991.
Knuth, D.: The Art of Computer programming, Vol.1,2,3. Addison Wesley, 1968
Wirth, N.: Alorithms+Data Structures=Programs, Prentice Hall, 1976
Horovitz, Sahni: Fundamentals of Data Structures.
Amsbury, W: Data Structures: From Arrays to Priority Queues.
Cormen, T.H. ,Leiserson, Ch.E., Rivest, R.L.: Introduction to Algorithms.
Aho A.V., Hoppcroft J.E., Ullman J.D.: Data Structures and Algorithms.
Kruse, R.L.>Data Structures and Program Design. Prentice- Hall,Inc. 1984
Baase, S.: Computer Algorithms - Introduction to Design and Analysis. Addison Wesley, 1998
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every.
Language of instruction
1. Overview of data structures. Abstract data type and its specification.
2. Specification, implementation and exploitation of ADT list.
3. Specification, implementation and exploitation of ADT stack, queue. Numeration of expressions with the use of stack.
4. ADT array, set, graph, binary tree.
5. Algorithms upon the binary tree.
6. Searching, sequential, in the array, binary search.
7. Binary search trees, AVL tree.
9. Ordering (sorting), principles, without movement, multiple key.
10. Most common methods of sorting of arrays, sorting of files.
11. Recursion, backtracking algorithms.
12. Proving the programs, costruction of proved programmes.
To get acquainted with the methods of proving correctness of programs and with construction of proved programs. To learn the fundamentals of algorithm coplexity. To get acquainted with basic abstract data types and to command their implementation and exploition. To learn the principles of dynamic memory allocation. To learn and command recursive and non-recursive notation of basic algorithms. To overrule the implementation and analysis of the most used algorithms for searching and sorting.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-AUD Bachelor's
specialization AUDB-TECH , any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-AMT Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-EKT Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-IBE Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-MET Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-SEE Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective
- Programme BPC-TLI Bachelor's, any year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, elective