Prestressed Engineering Construction
FAST-CL002Acad. year: 2017/2018
Principle of prestressing. Basic concept of pre-tensioning and post-tensioning. Material properties, manufacturing. Pretensioning operations, technology. Post-tensioning operations, technology, prestressing systems. Prestressing and its changes. Effects of prestressing on concrete members and structures, statically determinate and indeterminate structures. Ultimate limit state, full stress-strain response, shear resistance. Resistance of against cracks. Control of crack width and deflection of prestressed members. Design and construction both of building and engineering prestressed structures. Application of prestressing on masonry structures. Strengthening of masonry structures using prestressing. Design and construction of general types of bridges.
Institute of Concrete and Masonry Structures (BZK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
A student gains these knowledge and skills:
• Understanding of the behaviour of prestressed concrete structures.
• Design and construction of prestressed concrete structural members and structural systems, analysis and detailing.
structural mechanics, theory of elasticity, plasticity, concrete and masonry members, concrete and masonry structures
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, basic concept of prestressing. Behaviour of non-prestressed and prestressed concrete beams. Material properties, manufacturing.
2. Prestressing technology, basic terminology. Pre- and post-tensioning prestressed concrete, prestressing systems.
3.- 4. Prestressing and its changes. Effects of prestressing on concrete members and structures. Equivalent load method. Design of prestressing using the load balancing method. Influence of the construction metod on design of prestressed structures.
5. General principles of prestress members dimensioning. Ultimate limit state (ULS) of prestressed members loaded by axial force and bending moment, decompression state, initial stress-state of the cross-section. Prestressed members loaded in shear and torsion, stress analysis, proportioning.
6. Analysis of the anchorage zone - stress, calculation model, check of resistance, reinforcement. Serviceability limit states (SLS). Limitation of stress, crack resistence, calculation of crack width. Control of deflection.
7. - 8. Design and realisation of selected prestressed structures of building and engineering constructions.
9. Application of prestressing on masonry structures – structural modifications, principles of structural solution and dimensioning.
10. Strengthening of masonry structures by prestressing – methods of strengthening, realisation, structural analysis.
11. Design and construction of general types of slabs and girder bridges.
12. Problems of design and construction of bridges built on the stationary and launch scaffolding, cantilever bridges, incrementally launched bridges.
13. Problems of design and construction of precast girder and segmental bridges.
Understanding of the behaviour of prestressed concrete structures.
Design and construction of prestressed concrete structural members and structural systems, analysis and detailing.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans