FAST-TH51Acad. year: 2017/2018
Sustainable building represents a progress of building industry towards the achievement of sustainable development of society in terms of ecology, social-economy and culture. The basic principles and aims of sustainable construction are presented in the Agenda 21 document. This course deals especially with ecological and energy aspects of building and possibilities of environmental-friendly and recycled material use in building constructions. Students will become familiar with the multi-criteria assessment methodology SBToolCZ.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will know philosophy of sustainable building and he will
know the principles of life cycle assessment of building object.
Student will be able to use the natural and recycled matrials during
design phase of building object.
Good theoretical knowledge of building physics and fundamentals of building construction designing are the assumption for an understanding of the course content. General knowledge of common construction materials is necessary as well.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Agenda 21 pro udržitelnou výstavbu. ČVUT v Praze, 2001. (CS)
ČNI Praha: ČSN 73 0540-1 až 4 Tepelná ochrana budov. ČNI Praha, 2005. (CS)
Vonka, Martin et al.: Metodika SBToolCZ. Manuál hodnocení bytových staveb ve fázi návrhu.. CIDEAS, 2011. ISBN 978-80-01-04664-7. (CS)
www.substance.cz. 0. (CS)
Pytlík, P.: Ekologie ve stavebnictví. Svaz podnikatelů ve stavebnictví v ČR, 1997. (CS)
Nagy, Eugen: Nízkoenergetický ekologický dům. Jaga group, 2002. ISBN 80-88905-74-5. (CS)
Kočí, Vladimír: Posuzování životního cyklu. Ekomonitor, 2009. ISBN 978-80-86832-42-5. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Literature, basic concepts, legislation, the concept of sustainable development and sustainable construction.
2. Agenda 21, the context and scope, the objectives of Agenda 21 for sustainable building.
3. The principle of multi-criteria assessment of buildings.
4.-5. Multi-criteria assessment of buildings by use the methodology SBToolCZ.
6. The life cycle of the product, life cycle assessment.
7. Environmental labeling, eco-design.
8. Ecology in building, industrial wastes utilized in the construction, recycling means, recycled materials properties and their applications in building construction.
9. Environmental criteria for the selection of building materials, alternative materials and construction design based on renewable resources and recycled materials, overview, basic physical properties.
10. Thermal stability of the rooms and the use of passive cooling in buildings civil engineering.
11. Energy performance of buildings, ways to reduce energy consumption, low-energy and passive houses, design principles and examples.
12. Energy sources and their impact on the environment, alternative energy, solar energy, wind, biomass, heat pumps.
13. Disabled use of buildings - requirements and examples.
The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the conception of sustainable development and sustainable building. Indivisible part of the course is the issue of energy demand during realization and use of a building. Students are acquainted with alternative material and construction designs with application of recycled building materials.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.