3D Optical Digitization and Inspection of Machine Parts
FSI-ZRI-AAcad. year: 2017/2018
Students will be introduced to the theoretical part of the course with the basic principles and technologies of optical digitizing and their application in practice. They will be also familiar with digitization using optical system ATOS and TriTop functionality. In practical exercises, students will have the opportunity to experience 3D scanning of machine components and the subsequent adjustment of digital data. Within computer-aided exercises students will prepare semestral project focused on the application of gained knowledge in the field of digitization, editing polygonal data and reconstruction of surfaces.
The course has been upgraded with the support of the OPVK project. Project "The Studio of digital sculpture and new media", reg. No. CZ.1.07/2.2.00/28.0278, is co-financed by the European Social Fund and the statebudget of the Czech Republic.
Offered to foreign students
Of all faculties
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to effectively apply the methods of optical digitizing in solving multidisciplinary problems during solution of semester projects, theses and later in practice during development of new products.
Knowledge in area of CAD systems (CATIA, Creo Parametric, Rhinoceros, Inventor) and finite element method (Ansys).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions: elaboration of semester project, submitting data and the poster in digital form.
Examination: will be granted after successful completion of the test focused on gained theoretical knowledge.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to provide students with specific theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of 3D optical digitization and their appropriate use in technical practice.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is recommended; attendance at practicals and laboratory practicals is obligatory and checked by the lecturer. Compensation of missed lessons depends on the instructions of course supervisor.
Type of course unit
10 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Instroduction to 3D digitization – plan of the semester, fundamental terms, introduction to the issue
2. 3D digitization – overview of technologies, AFP, laser scanners, contact scanners, full body scanners, facial scanners
3. Principles of triangulation
4. Processing of point clouds - polygonization
5. Calibration of the optical system – intrinsics and extrinsics parameters, DLT, bundle adjustment
6. Photogrammetry – reference points coding, transformation of the points in 3D
7. Post-processing of polygonal data
8. Automation of measurement
9. 3D digitization micro CT – industrial computed tomography
16 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
• GUI, Importing of files, Polygonization
• Mesh editing
• Simple inspection
• Inspection sections
• Different Alignment methods
• Tolerances and RPS alignment
• 3-2-1 alignment and primitives
• Drawing based inspection for 2D sections
• Image processing, work with histogram
• Calibration of the camera
• Detection of the object, measurements in the image
• Semestral project elaboration
• Scanned data processing
• Photogrammetry data processing
• Design of the model by reverse engineering tools
labs and studios
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
3D optical system ATOS
• Familiarisation with the technology of the optical digitization with the ATOS system
• Preparation of the part for optical digitization; digitization of the mechanical part
• Processing of the digitized data to the polygonal model
• Registration of the coordinate systems of digitized and CAD data, export of the data
Photogrammetry system TRITOP
• Measurement of deformations
• Utilization of the TRITOP system for measurement of large scale objects with ATOS system
• Evaluation of curves
• Elaboration of assigned semestral project