FSI-ZKRAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course follows the subject Design project and another courses from previous studies. Four different topics of projects are assigned in relation to the currently addressed research and development projects. Students are divided into teams of 3-5 members. Each team solves one project. For successful solution of the project, which include complex engineering problems, students must manage to apply previously acquired knowledge, methods and procedures in the areas of engineering analysis, experiment control, virtual prototyping and parametric modeling. Each topic is led by supervisor of the project who checks the progress, consults possibilities of solution and ensures financing of realization, or communication with investor. Emphasis is placed on quality of outcomes and effectiveness and appropriateness of solutions including the choice of production technologies. At the end of the course, students defend the outcomes in front of the committee.
Examples of selected problem situations - project assignments:
Design and implementation of clamping fixture for digitization of parts of the human body. Steward vibroisolation platform for astronautics.
Construction of an experimental stand for simulation of the contact of real wheel and rail. Design of an active drive of hip joint simulator.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will gain practical experiences with the application of advanced methods and CAD tools, reverse engineering, optical digitization and prototype manufacturing. They will learn to use engineering analysis tools and modern methods of diagnostics of machines. Students will become familiar with the multidisciplinary approach, which is needed to solve complex engineering problems. They become better in the effective application of the acquired knowledge and analytical, synthetic and critical thinking. Graduates of the course will be able to solve complex technical problems requiring a multidisciplinary approach. They will be able to choose effective methods of solution, to critically evaluate results, and to complete solving problem by realization of a physical output.
Knowledge in area of plastic prototypes, rapid prototyping, reverse engineering, optical digitization, parametric modeling (Inventor, Catia, Rhinoceros), machine design, tribology, finite element method (ANSYS Classic, ANSYS Workbench), measurement and experiments, statics, kinematics, strength of materials.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Literatura doporučená garanty pro konkrétní téma projektu
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Theoretical basis for solving problems is part of the courses in previous studies. The course is therefore taught only through practical exercises with computer support and in laboratories, where students are working under the supervision of the teachers on a solution of assigned projects. Within the exercises, consultations with individual supervisors are carried out (to complement the knowledge, methods, economic demands, etc.). Emphasis is placed on selecting effective methods of solution and technical quality of project output. Within the semester,two lessons are reserved for more extensive check by presentation of current work of the team. All students and supervisors participates on these checkpoints.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions: regular attendance at classes, submission of fully developed project in digital and printed form. In the digital format shall be delivered:
1. CAD data.
2. Technical report or final report.
3. Drawings (if required by assignment).
4. Poster in PPTX format and PDF format for printing.
5. Presentation in PPTX format.
In paper form will be delivered:
1. Technical or final report.
Final mark is the average of marks awarded by evaluators during defense of the project.
Language of instruction
Goal of the course is to solve complex engineering problems which have a multidisciplinary nature. The emphasis is placed on quality of outcomes and effective usage of previously acquired knowledge.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at practicals and laboratory practicals is obligatory and checked by the lecturer. Maximum of two excused absences without compensation are allowed. In case of longer absence, compensation of missed lessons depends on the instructions of course supervisor.
Type of course unit
78 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Presentation of the project assignment, distribution of responsibilities, map of project, Gantt chart.
2. Problem analysis, research of technical solutions.
3. Proposal of alternative solutions, analysis of variants.
4. Calculation of project costs.
5. Checkpoint with the presentation of results.
6. Drawing documentation.
7. Purchase of materials and components.
8. Implementation of the solution.
9. Checkpoint with the presentation of results.
10. Experimental verification of the output.
11. Optimization of technical solution.
12. Analysis and interpretation of results.
13. Completion and preparation of outputs.
• presentation and assignment of projects
• background research of specified technical problem
• variants of technical solution
• analysis of alternative solutions
• selection of alternative solutions
• project costing
• creation of drawings
• purchase of materials and components
• assembly and preparation of outputs
labs and studios
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
Laboratory practicals will be realized according to project objectives.
Following laboratories will be used:
1. Laboratory of rapid prototyping.
2. Laboratory of optical diagnostics.
3. Laboratory of tribology.
4. Laboratory of technical diagnostics.
5. Manufacturing workshop of the institute.