FSI-ZDIAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course familiarizes students with modern technical diagnostics and its importance for the design and operation of contemporary machines. It defines the basic concepts and categories of reliability and technical diagnostics. Special emphasis is placed on vibroacoustic diagnostics, especially on the methods of processing a diagnostic signal in the time and the frequency domain. Methods of technical diagnostics of vehicles chassis and choice of diagnostic appropriate quantities are discuss. In the course, the students are made the acquaintance of disassembly diagnostic of suspension damper, their ideal behaviour, methods of diagram evaluation, diagnostics of the most frequented faults and methods of damping force control. Also, course deals with the noise as a diagnostic quantity and with the professional software platforms for diagnostic systems. Furthemore, students learn about On-Board diagnostics of transport vehicles, specifically with OBD-II standard, data communication buses and networks use in automotive, architecture of electronic control units, communication by the diagnostics connector, control methods of combustion process in vehicle engine and its influence on emissions.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students gain both theoretical knowledge and practical skills with methods of the machine technical condition and reliability assessment. They acquire also practical experience with non destructive testing and technical diagnostic experiments. Students will be able to express correct inputs for experiment control and analysis of the results. Students gain knowledge of the diagnostics of vehicle and its components.
Knowledge in area of electronics and measurement.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is supplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions: active participation in the seminars.
Examination: course is finished by the final test during 4th week. In the test, the student has to prove knowledge of basic terms, important principles and their application.
Language of instruction
Goal of the course is to introduce methods of the experiment organization and to extend subjects discussed in previous Electronic and measurement course. Measurement of physical quantities specific for technical diagnostic experiments with a closer focus on vibroacoustics is discussed. The aim is to gain knowledge required for diagnostic model design and assembly. Attention is also paid to the branch of diagnostic of vehicles, specifically non-disassembly diagnostics of chassis and suspension dampers, disassembly damper diagnostics and on-board diagnostics system of vehicles.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is recommended; attendance at laboratory practicals is obligatory and checked by the lecturer. One absence can be compensated by attending a seminar with another study group in the same week, or by elaboration of substitute tasks. In case of longer absence, compensation of missed lessons depends on the instructions of course supervisor – special task elaboration.
Type of course unit
12 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Reliability of the machine systems.
• Reliability of system element, whole system reliability.
• Importance of technical diagnostics.
• Diagnostics without disassembling and with disassembling.
• Contact and non-contact diagnostics.
2. Fundamentals of the technical diagnostics.
• Diagnosis, prognosis, genesis.
• Diagnostic tools, diagnostic system.
• Technical condition of object, diagnostic quantities.
• Failure, operability, functionality, integrity.
3. Vibroacoustic diagnostics.
• Fundamentals, mechanical oscillations of machines.
• Vibrodiagnostic systems.
• Displacement transducers, position transducers.
• Velocity transducers, accelerometers, RPM meters, latch sensors.
4. On-board diagnostic of the vehicles.
• State-of-art of the vehicle control systems.
• Electronic Control Unit.
• Automotive data buses, On Board Diagnostic.
• CAN-Bus communication protocol.
5. Application of TD on the car chassis.
• Diagnostic of vehicle suspension without disassembling.
• Quarter car suspension model
• Resonance – adhesion testers (EUSAMA).
• Resonance – amplitude testers.
• Passive systems with assessment of oscillation response.
6. Suspension damper diagnostics
• Design types of dampers
• Force-velocity and Force-stroke diagrams
• Damper characteristcs - linear x nonlinear
• The most frequented faults
• Damper stands for disassembly testing
• Methods of damping force control
• Diagnostics of response time of magnetorheological damper
labs and studios
20 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Lab of technical diagnostics - safety of operation, excursion
2. Lab of technical diagnostics - brief about currently solved projects
3. Transport vehicle localization by the GPS
4. Transport vehicle localization by the GPS
5. Modal analysis - analytical calculation of natural frequency
6. Modal analysis - experimental determination of stiffnes, modal mass of beam and natural frequency
7. Correlational measurement of velocity
8. Correlational measurement of velocity
9. Disassembly diagnostics of suspension damper
10. Disassembly diagnostics of suspension damper
11. Diagnostics model of damper - parameter identification
12. Diagnostics model of damper - model creation
13. Diagnostics model of damper - implementation to the quarter car suspension model
14. Diagnostics model of damper - implementation to the quarter car suspension model
15. On-board diagnostics
16. On-board diagnostics
17. Non-disassembly wheel suspension diagnostics
18. Non-disassembly wheel suspension diagnostics