FSI-VADAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course is concerned with problems technical diagnostics in mechanical and automatic application. Students are acquainted with basic methods and instrumentation of technical non- removal diagnostics and of the special condition monitoring system with fully automated function. Special attention is paid to diagnostics of individual components of control loop and diagnostics in modern control systems. A self-diagnostics mode system in automatic control and relations of the diagnostics to reliability and maintenance of systems are also dealt.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
General overview of methods and devices of technical diagnostics and applying the acquired knowledge for solving a specific assignment. The ability to select the appropriate diagnostics and locates failure and cause in elementary cases, ability to evaluate basic parameters of reliability of systems.
Basic knowledge of physics, mathematics, theory of probability and measurement of technical quantities
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course - unit credit: attendance in laboratory exercises and presenting the results of selected measurements. Resulting evaluation up to 30 points is included in the result of the examination, provided credit is to obtain at least 15 points.
Exam: written test of all problems the subject (0 - 40 points), oral exam with written preparation (0 - 30 points). Total the student receives up to 100 points, condition passing of the exam at least 51 points. Classification: excellent (91-100 points), very good (81-90 points), good (71-80 points), satisfactory (61-70 points), sufficient (51-60 points), failed (0-50 points).
Language of instruction
Students will have an overall view of methods and devices of technical diagnostics and selecting a suitable version for condition monitoring appropriate equipment.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in laboratory exercises is monitored ; one absence can be compensated for by attending a seminar with another group; next absence is compensated by solving an individual assignment.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. The importance of technical diagnostics
2. Basic definitions and terminology
3. Faults sources and principles of maintenance
4. Reliability of components and systems, backup
5. Distribution of diagnostics, operating and less removal diagnostics
6. Diagnostics models, methods and devices
7. Functional and physical diagnostics methods
8. Vibration and acoustic diagnostics
9. Basics of frequency analysis
10.Thermo-diagnostics, tribology-diagnostics, and electro-diagnostics
11.Automatic monitoring systems
12.Diagnostics in control loops
13.Current trends in diagnostics
labs and studios
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to the course
2. Reliability of components and systems
3. Function diagnostics and diagnostics models
4. Temperature in diagnostics
5. Noncontact temperature measurement and thermal cameras in diagnostics
6. Measurement of vibration
7. Base of frequency analysis
8. Defects and troubles of bearings
9. Machine alignment and balancing
10. Condition monitoring systems
11. Diagnostics in control loop
12. Exhibitions of modern diagnostics systems
13. The final exercise, evaluation, credit
eLearning: currently opened course