Statistical Quality Management
FSI-PSRAcad. year: 2017/2018
Quality management in foundries based on statistical methods and methods for quality support, in compliance with the CSN ISO Standards. The theory and application of the methods of SPC (statistical process control) and FMEA (failure mode and effect analysis), tools of quality management. Analysis of foundry competitiveness (quality function deployment - QFD). Basic problems of total quality management (TQM)and practical application of CSN EN ISO Standards of the 9000, 45000 and 14000 series. Attention is devoted to the preparation of quality manual in foundries.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course will enable students to acquire such knowledge and information that are needed for the preparation of the manual of quality, for the solution of a number of technological processes and for improving these processes.
Knowledge of specific areas of technology, metrology and mathematical statistics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Grant,L., Leavenworth, R.: Statistical Quality Control, , 0
Čech,J. a kol.: Statistické řízení jakosti, , 0
Václavek, J.: Statistická regulace výrobních procesů, , 0
Dietrich, F., Schulze,A.: Statistical Procedures for Machine and Process Capability, , 0
Kupka,K.: Statistické řízení jakosti, , 0
Maring,W.: Handbuch Qualitatsmanagement, , 0
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Attendance at lecture is recommended. Attendance at seminars is required. Understanding the subject-matter delivered by the lecturer is checked in practicals. The leader of practicals assigns students independent work. Students agree with the course supervisor on making up for absence from classes.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course 'Statistical quality management' is to make students acquainted with the fundamentals and application of statistical quality management in engineering enterprises in order that they could apply this knowledge creatively to individual technological processes and when working on partial projects and on the final diploma project.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Awarding the course-unit credit is conditional on active attendance at exercises. For the exam, students get list of questions covering the subject matter dealt with. The exam is oral, with written preparation.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. The concept of quality. Personal quality.
2. Global conception, communitarian law in EU.
3. ISO Standards, certification, conformity modules - CE.
4. TQM fundamentals, differences between ISO and TQM.
5. Statistical control via measurement and comparison.
6. Machine and process capability.
7. Design and technology FMEA.
8. Quality assurance procedures and methods (QFD and DOE).
9. Process management, continual improvement, training programmes.
10. Application of statistical procedures to individual technologies.
11. Statistical control via comparison - acceptance plan.
12. Seven tools of quality management as used in Japanese management.
13. Creating a manual of quality for foundries.
labs and studios
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Factors affecting level A, level I, qualitative goals.
2. Causes of failures, factor of department quality, department indicator.
3. Application of the ISO standards in foundries.
4. Taguchi loss function.
5. X/s and X/R control diagram - practical application.
6. Machine and process capabilities - practical application.
7. Application of FMEA in foundry operation.
9. Training programmes for foundries.
10. Acceptance plans.
11. Applying the seven tools in foundry engineering.
12. Manual of quality.
13. Manual of quality, course-unit credit.