Refrigeration and Heat Pumps
FSI-LC0Acad. year: 2017/2018
The course deals with the design and construction of refrigeration devices and heat pumps. Students are gradually introduced to the issue of determining the required cooling capacity, choice of suitable refrigerant, individual components selection and overall design of the equipment. Students are familiarized with the current legislation and requirements for installation and commissioning of the proposed facility.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course will enable students to acquire the knowledge and skills associated with the construction of refrigeration devices and heat pumps, their installation and commissioning. After completing the course, students should be able to design a simple cooling device.
Thermomechanics; Compressors, Fans and Refrigerating Plants
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
DINÇER, Ibrahim. Refrigeration systems and applications. Chichester: Wiley, 2003. ISBN 04-716-2351-2. (EN)
KOLEKTIV AUTORŮ. Chladicí a klimatizační technika. 1. vyd. Praha: Svaz chladicí a klimatizační techniky, 2012. (CS)
ŽERAVÍK, Antonín. Stavíme tepelné čerpadlo: [návratnost i za jeden rok]. 1. vyd. Přerov: Antonín Žeravík, 2003. ISBN 80-239-0275-X. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Combination of lectures and laboratory classes.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The credit is awarded for participation in seminars and after the successful defense of the semestral project.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to introduce students to the design process of refrigeration systems and heat pumps.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Independent elaboration of a given project.
Classification of course in study plans
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction, repetition - refrigeration systems (single and double stage, cascade, etc.)
2. Calculation of heat load - estimation of required cooling power
3. Refrigerants - refrigerants overview (HCFC, HFC, CO2, R717, natural), selection of suitable refrigerant for selected system
4. Evaporators - design requirements / selection
5. Condensers - design requirements / selection
6. Compressors - reciprocating, scroll, screw, centrifugal
7. Lubrication - system (compressor) lubrication
8. Metering device - design, selection, presettings
9. Pipes and fittings - design, calculation of pressure losses
10. Regulation of refrigeration devices + defrosting
11. Requirements on refrigeration devices - standard EN 378 (Part 1 and 2)
12. Requirements on refrigeration devices - standard EN 378 (Part 3 and 4)
13. Cold usage (refrigeration, etc.)