Electrical Engineering of Production Machines
FSI-GEVAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course makes students familiar with basic problems of electric equipment used in production machines and equipment. The following topics are dealt with: General requirements regarding electric equipment of production machines and explanation of principles of activity of the most important action elements of spindle drives and supports (electro-magnetic elements, static and dynamic characteristics of DC motors, motors with electronic commutation, asynchronous, synchronous and step motors, mathematical models, methods of control and relevant feeding circuits. The students will learn of the methodology of keeping electro-technical documentation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The knowledge and skills acquired in the course enable students to manage the construction design of current production machines and equipment on a high level.
Differential equations, L-transformation, fundamentals of mechanism dynamic, fundamentals of theory electric machines and apparatuses, schemes and function of electric energy converters.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by practitioners and excursions to companies focused on activities related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Conditions for a course-unit credit award: 1. Attendance at exercises (100% participation), working out laboratory protocols and satisfying of pre-set conditions of continuous study checking (stated at exercises). 2. Working out a home assignment. Exam: The exam is combined with written and oral part and it verifiess the complex student`s knowledge acquired in the course.
Language of instruction
The aim of the subject is to make students acquainted with the current situation and possibilities provided by the technical machines equipment applied to production machines and equipment. The task of the subject is for students to acquire knowledge on such level so that they are able to apply the above stated equipment and its components in their professions and will have a clear idea of what producers offer on the market.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The controlled lesson is an exercise. Exercises are required. The attendance at exercises is recorded and the level of knowledge is tested by solving practical assignments. Students are required to compensate missed lessons with another group of students or – in exceptional cases – by working out an assignment regarding a relevant topic. A teacher evaluates the quality of the assignment.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Electrics parts of production machine, generally demands on electrics part of production machine, power supply systems
2. Electric drives sizing - modes of operation , calculation
3. Switching and protection of electrical devices
4. Cabling, Electric drives control possibilities (current, speed and position regulation), safety demands on drives
5. Types of inverter for control of DC and AC machines,
6. DC and BLDC motor - properties, characteristics
7. Induction motor - properties, characteristics
8. Synchronous motor - properties, characteristics, reluctance motor
9. Special types of electric motor - stepper motor, single-phase electric motor, linear synchronous and induction motor
10. Speed control of DC and BLDC motor
11. Scalar and vector control of induction machine, direct torque control.
12. Synchronous machine control (vector, scalar)
13. Rules for creation of production documentation, standard's demands on electrical installation of production machine (safety, EMC etc.).
labs and studios
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Selection of motor with variable load by equivalent methods
2. Design of electric drives with PC program
3. Complete drive design including choice of all components - wiring, fuse, etc.
4. Electrical installation of production machines, electrical installations in industrial distribution systems, principles of electrical documentation creations
5. Possibilities of drive's regulator settings