Fundamentals of Quality Management
FSI-BMKAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course is focused on the basic knowledge from the field of business economics and enterprise as an organization, that provides the know-how of the quality management system according to ISO 9001. The course includes basic presentation of an enterprise, its background, aims and functions. The course therefore provides a complex view of business economics in simplified form in order to provide a basis for further studies of specialized follow-up courses.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of the basic economical terms, understanding of the relations within the proces activities of a company in relation to basic knowledge of the principles of quality management, allowing the students to link their knowledge with the associated fields of company production management. Ability to apply the system and process approach, on the basis of the obtained knowledge and information, in partial tasks or quality management.
Students are required to have the basic knowledge of economics,technology, knowledge of mathematics and physics in the scope corresponding to the bachelor level of studies.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KETTUNEN, J.: Essays on strategic management and quality assurance; OULU 2009; ACTA UNIVERSITATIS OULUENSIS C Technica 329; pp. 44; ISBN 978-951-42-9178-
KORÁB, V., J. PETERKA a M. REŽŇÁKOVÁ., Podnikatelský plán. Brno: Computer Press. 2007. 2016 s. ISBN 978-80-251-1605-0. (CS)
GOETSCH, D. L.; DAVIS, S. B.: Quality Management - Introduction to Total Quality Management for Production, Processing and Services; 5. ed.; June 2005; ISBN 978-0131189294
SRPOVÁ, J., I. SVOBODOVÁ, P. SKOPAL a T. ORLÍK. Podnikatelský plán a strategie. Praha: Grada. 2011. 200 s. ISBN 978-80-247-4103-1. (CS)
JURAN, J. M.; GRYNA F. M.: Juran´s Quality Control Handbook. McGraw-Hill, Inc., New York, 1988
SYNEK, M., KISLINGEROVÁ, E. a kol. (2010) Podniková ekonomika. 5.vyd. Praha:C.H.Beck. 502 s. ISBN 80-7400-336-3. (CS)
Zákon č. 22/1997 Sb. (aktuální znění) O technických požadavcích na výrobky
Nenadál, J. a kol.: Moderní management jakosti. Management Press, Praha, 2008
Janíček, L. a kol: Evropská unie – instituce, ekonomická, bezpečnostní a sociální politika. Computer Press, Brno, 2003. ISBN 80-7226-819-8
Janků, M.: Evropská unie – právní system evropských společenství. Computer Press, Brno, 2003. ISBN 80-7226-806-6
Remtová, K.: Strategie podniku v péči o životní prostředí, Dobrovolné nástroje, VŠE Praha 2006, ISBN 80-245-1086-3 (CS)
ČSN EN ISO 14001:2016 Systémy environmentálního managementu - Požadavky s návodem k použití; ÚNMZ, Praha, 2016 (CS)
Zákon č. 17/1992 Sb., o životním prostředí (CS)
Reichholf, J.: Životní prostředí, Ekologie lidských sídel, Ikar Praha 1999, ISBN 80-7202-503-1 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by practitioners and excursions to companies focused on activities related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Students must defend a semestral project on a given topic.
Language of instruction
1. Basic terminology. Definition and dimension of quality (complete product). Orientation at customer. Determination of priorities. Process approach. Integrated system of process control and development. Six Sigma, Lean Production.
2. Total quality management. Quality and marketing. Quality planning (QFD, FMEA). Environmental and safety limiting conditions of management system.
3. Conformity assessment. Obligatory and optional conformity assessment. EU and Czech legal milieu.
4. Technical standards. Quality as conformity on the interface of processes. Positives of normalized interface. Systems of technical standards. International Standards ISO 9000. Conformity assessment according to ISO 9001.
1. Students‘ presentations and discussion to subjects of lectures.
2. Conformity assessment – Case Studies.
The course aims to provide students with the most important theoretical knowledge supplemented by specific examples and methods of application allowing to understand the importance and challenges of the quality management. Lead students to acquire the knowledge of the internal and external environment of an organization and to learn to use the methods applied in the analysis of external and internal environment. The lectures also include explanation of the basic requirements on quality management.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The attendance at seminars is compulsory. Lectures are voluntary, presentation of the semestral project is compulsory.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction to course - basic terminology and definitions
2. Dimension of quality (complete product). Orientation at customer.
3. Process approach. Integrated system of control
4. Seven basic tools of quality management
5. Seven new tools of quality management
6. Selected methods of preventive quality assurance
7. Documentation of quality management
8. Quality planning
9. Support processes of Quality Management
10. Technical standards. Quality as conformity on the interface of processes
11. Positives of normalized interface. Systems of technical standards
12. Performance evaluation and improvement of processes.
13. Presenation and defence of semestral project
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Basic terminology, economics, business and quality
2. Company and business
3. Establishment of a company, property and capital structure
4. Environment of company, production factors
5. Wages and salaries, company costs
6. Economic result of company - returns and profit
7. Break-even point, cash flow
8. SWOT Analysis
9. - 10. Process mapping
11. - 12. Semestral project of students on selected topics and discussion. Range of topics correlates with the themes of the lectures.
13. Presenation and defence of semestral project.
eLearning: currently opened course