Special laboratory classes I - CTEP
FCH-MCO_LAB1_ZAcad. year: 2017/2018
In accordance with the subject of diploma theses students will be made familiar in details with basic procedures they can apply for the experimental part of their theses.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Completing of the course will increase competencies and skills of students as follows:
1. They will be thoroughly familiar with laboratory procedures and methods used in laboratories of ICTEP for experiments connected with their diploma theses with emphasis on the principles of good laboratory practice
2. They will be familiar with the methods of information retrieval in bibliographic and factual databases
3. They will be able to process information effectively using citation managers
Skills necessary to work in a chemical laboratory obtained in basic laboratory classes and branch laboratory classes
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Králová B. a kol.: Bioanalytické metody (CS)
Bailey R.A. et al.: Chemistry of the environment (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of specialized lab - 4 teaching hours per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit will be awarded on the basis of 100% participation and presentation essay on an assigned topic. The basis for grade will be the quality of the processed essay.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction of the laboratories of the ICTEP.
2. Getting to know the most important methods used in the analysis of inorganic contaminants.
3. Getting to know the most important methods used in the analysis of organic contaminants.
4. Presentation of techniques used to search for information in bibliographic and full-text databases
5. Introduction to citation managers available at VUT (CitacePRO, RefWorks)
6. Working-out of seminar work (literature search on a given topic).
7. Oral presentation of the seminar work
The aim of this subject is:
- to start preparation of students for the working-out of their diploma thesis
- to familiarize with laboratory techniques and procedures used at ICTEP to address theses
- to adopt the procedures in the information retrieval in bibliographic and full-text databases accessible at the BUT
- to provide students with information helpful for the selection and specification of the topic of their diploma thesis
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is compulsory. Processing and essay submission is a prerequisite for course credit.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NKCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NKCO_CHTOZP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NPCO_CHTOZP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
52 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer