Diploma seminar - CTEP
FCH-MCO_DS_ZAcad. year: 2017/2018
Short presentation and discussion to the topics of diploma theses. The complex research activity of the Institute will be introduced to students at introductory part of the seminar, and also PhD students will present their topics and results.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Successful completion of the course the student will gain the following knowledge and skills:
1. They will know the basic principles of a diploma thesis, which will be able to apply;
2. They will be able to choose adequate approach for processing a (large) set of analytical results;
3. They will be able to use factual and full-text databases and citation managers;
4. They know the basic principles of oral presentation of their results.
Skills necessary to work in a chemical laboratory obtained in basic laboratory classes and branch laboratory classes
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Grafen A., Hails R.: Modern Statistics for the Life Sciences (CS)
Dean J.R.: Methods for environmental trace analysis (CS)
Williams I.: Environmental Chemistry (CS)
Další literatura dle zadání diplomové práce (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course uses teaching methods in form of Diploma seminar - 1 teaching hour per week. The e-learning system (LMS Moodle) is available to teachers and students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course credit is awarded for 100% participation in seminars (any absence must be properly excused) and for presentation of the selected topic of diploma's work with outline of its solution.
Language of instruction
1. Seminar on elaboration and writing of diploma thesis
2. Seminar on the application of statistics for evaluation of results
3. Seminar on the use of electronic information resources and citation managers.
4. Presentation of interim results of unfinished theses by students.
The aim of this subject is to:
- Provide studnets information on methods of thesis compilation
- Familiarize students with the specifics of processing and interpretation of analytical results in relation to the environment
- Teach students to use available electronical sources of information (factual and full-text databases) and effective ways of processing of the gained information (citation managers)
- Give students an opportunity to present their own partial results theses
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is compulsory.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NKCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NKCO_CHTOZP , 2. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPCP_CHTOZP Master's
branch NPCO_CHTOZP , 2. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme CKCP_CZV lifelong learning
branch CKCO_CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer