Quality Management and Metrology
FEKT-KRJMAcad. year: 2017/2018
The course deals with the problems of current approaches of products and services quality assurance. Students will be familiar with importance of quality in the economy and the reasons for a systematic approach of its management, as well as the role of ISO, EN, ČSN management systems and an overview of modern methods of quality assurance. They will know the role of state and its interventions into the system of quality control, standardization, metrology and testing.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to
- define the basic concepts of quality,
- describe metrology system in the Czech Republic and abroad,
- appiont the categories of measuring instruments, explain their relationship, approval, validation and calibration,
- describe the construction of a quality system in the company, the quality system documentation, quality costs, audits,
- explain the issue of quality system certification, product certification,
- knows the calculation of uncertainty of measurement of type A and B.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Nenadál,J., Noskievčová,D. a kol.: Moderní systémy řízen jakosti. Management press, 1998, Praha (CS)
Polsterová, H., Rozsívalová, Z.: Řízení jakosti. (CS)
Montgomery, D. C.. Introducion to Statistical Quality Control. John Wiley, New York, 1996
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical
laboratories. Students have to write a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
upto 30 points from seminars (student will receive these points by the separate written work in the field of quality and its presentation and also by solution of examples given in other independent works).
upto 70 points from writen examination.
The test focuses into the quality issues discussed in tutorials and seminars.
Language of instruction
1. Meaning and conception of quality in CR and in the world. Basic concepts of quality.
2. Approaches to quality assurance of products and services.
3. State legislative interventions to quality control system standardization, metrology and testing.
4. Technical requirements for products. Quality and consumer protection.
5. The role of supervisory authorities in the Czech market. Accreditation of testing laboratories and certification bodies.
6. Quality assurance in marketing, pre-production preparation, the supply, production and its management. Quality protection in the post-production stage.
7. Quality Assurance. Metrological quality assurance. Quality and logistics.
8. Survey of modern approaches to quality assurance.
9. The role of ISO, EN and IEC management systems, ISO approaches versus approaches to TQM.
10. Tools of quality control in the EU. Information about the system requirements of the EU and its availability in the country.
11. Improvement as a fundamental principle of quality management. Methodology improvement. Management tools and quality management.
12. Methods and techniques for optimizing quality and error prevention.
13. Quality as a factor in the success of the company.
Aim of the course is to make students acquired with accesses to a quality of products and services, with a role of standards in control systems and with a standardization, metrology and testing.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.