Analysis of Compositions 1
FEKT-JRS1Acad. year: 2017/2018
The course is aimed at clarifying the various types of music forms, searching song patterns and drawing implications for understanding the initial requirements for recording music of various style periods.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will be able to:
- describe different types of music forms,
- analyze song patterns,
- assess the implications for interpretation,
- briefly describe the various style periods,
- safely determine the style period of a song and possible authors by listening to a song.
The knowledge of basic concepts of musical acoustics, tempo, expression and dynamic signs, and musical instruments tuning is required as well as musical intervals, scales and modes, chords and basic harmonic connections, and timbres.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BURLAS, Ladislav: Formy a druhy hudobného umenia. Opus, Bratislava 1978. (CS)
FALTUS, Leoš a ŠTĚDROŇ, Miloš: Formování hudby. PDF MU, Brno 1998. (CS)
KOHOUTEK, Ctirad: Hudební styly z hlediska skladatele. Panton, Praha 1976. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Lectures have character of explanation accompanied with listening of recordings and score sheet samples.
Participation at lectures is recommended.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follows Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT and Dean's Regulation to the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT. Credit is given for successful completion of an interview.
Language of instruction
1. – 5. Clarification of different types of music forms.
6. – 10. Finding patterns in songs.
11. – 13. Finding implications for interpretation.
The aim of the course is to familiarize students with the types of music forms and with song patterns, and with drawing implications for the recording of music.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Forms of the checked instructions are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantee of the course and updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer