VLSI Digital IC Design and VHDL
FEKT-CNDIAcad. year: 2017/2018
Advanced design of digital circuits by using VHDL will be learned. Practical design of sequential systems and state machines will be described. For example design of PS2, VGA peripherals and communication peripherals such as I2C, SPI etc. In frame of this subject students will realize a project as simple game implementable into the FPGA circuit. Project will be solved in student groups and final examination will be satisfied by successful presentation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student obtains following knowledge:
- design of advanced combinational and sequential digital circuits by using VHDL
- define proper conditions and specifications according to designed digital circuit
- work with documentation and design any digital circuit according to this specification
- implementation of designed digital system into the programmable circuit
- verification and evaluation of designed digital system
Student should know:
- knowledge of fundamentals of combinational and sequential circuits, how those circuits manually design
- describe those circuits by using VHDL
- knowledge of state machines and their design
- knowledge of methodology of synchronous circuit design
- work with XILINX design tool
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Skahill, K., VHDL for Programmable Logic, Addison-Wesley, 1996, ISBN 0-201-89573-0.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every.
Language of instruction
1. VHDL, verification and simulation. Work with packages
2. Design of PS2 interface for keyboard and mouse
3. Design of VGA controller – block structure, timing
4. Memory in FPGA – sorting, using
5. Advanced syntax of VHDL – parametric design, using of RECORD type etc.
The subject follows BDIO subject that is learned in second year. Subject is much more complex and students obtain new information from digital circuit design area, especially how to use proper methodology to design advanced digital circuits. Goal of the subject is how students can design any task autonomously, such as design of block structure, block specification, block design and final implementation into the target device to meet entire specification.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.