Safe electrical engineering
FEKT-CELEAcad. year: 2017/2018
The main idea of the course is to introduce the students to the following problems:
- legal regulations related to labour safety and health protection in the Czech Republic
- principles of risk prevention
- safety rules for handling and operating an electrical apparatus
- safety rules for the maintenance of an electrical apparatus
- realizing protection against electric shock
- protection of electrical devices against lightning and overvoltage
- fire protection of electrical devices
- first aid upon electric shock
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to perform the following tasks:
- evaluate the risks and avoid any danger posed by electricity
- interpret the legal or technical regulations and standards related to the given discipline
- explain the dangers of electricity to persons not familiar with this province
- instruct persons intending to operate an electrical apparatus
Students wishing to enroll in the course are expected to be capable of applying Kirchhoff’s and Ohm’s laws to single-phase and three-phase circuits.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Vyhláška č. 50/1978 Sb. o odborné způsobilosti v elektrotechnice (CS)
ČSN EN 50110 ed. 2:2005 Obsluha a práce na elektrických zařízeních (CS)
ČSN EN 50191:2001 Zřizování a provoz zkušebních elektrických zařízení (CS)
ČSN EN 61140-ed. 2:2003 Ochrana před úrazem elektrickým proudem. Společná hlediska pro instalaci a zařízení (CS)
ČSN 33 2000 Elektrické instalace budov, část 1 až 7 (CS)
KALÁB, P.; STEINBAUER, M. Bezpečná elektrotechnika. Brno: Ing. Zdeněk Novotný, CSc, 2009. s. 1-106. ISBN: 978-80-214-3840- 8. (CS)
Vyhláška č. 23/2008 Sb. o technických podmínkách požární ochrany staveb. (CS)
Zákon č. 309/2006 Sb. o zajištění dalších podmínek bezpečnosti a ochraně zdraví při práci. (CS)
Zákon č. 206/2006 Sb. Zákoník práce.Část pátá + § 349 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures and practical training in first aid. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The applicable classification components are as follows:
- an in-class test, 0 – 40 points
- a final test, 0 – 60 points
Any student who scores at least 75% of total points in each test is eligible to take an oral interview before an examining board. If successful, the student will be awarded a Certificate of professional qualifications in electrical engineering according to Section 6 of ordinance no. 50/1978 Coll. Holders of the Certificate are considered highly qualified for independent operation and maintenance of an lv electrical apparatus (up to 1000 V).
Language of instruction
1. Legal regulations, technical standards, and qualifications in electrical engineering: the Czech Republic and other European countries
2. Electrical apparatuses, networks, and hand tools. Connection of electrical appliances.
3. Safe electrical products and installations. Assessment of operational risks.
4. Impact of the electric current on the human organism. Immediate first aid.
5. Electric shock in rooms and spaces. Shielding and protection of powered objects. In-class test.
6. Resuscitation practice using a dummy.
7. Protection against electric shock.
8. Safe handling and operation of an electrical apparatus.
9. Protective equipment; standardized safety signs and instructions; communicators and controllers.
10. Protection of electrical and electronic devices against lightning and overvoltage
11. Fire safety of electrical devices.
12. - 13. Final test and interview.
The course has been set up to teach (as a part of the required knowledge in electrical engineering) the principles of safe design, realization, and operation of electrical installation and devices. The instruction will be directed towards preparing the students to take the examination based on ordinance no. 50/1978 Coll., On professional qualifications in electrical engineering, issued by the Czech Labour Safety Authority (ČUBP) and the Czech Mining Authority (ČBÚ). After passing the exam, the students will be qualified to work independently in the field of electrical engineering.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Students wishing to be awarded the Certificate of professional qualifications in electrical engineering are required to attend the course instruction/lectures between weeks 3 and 8.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-BC Bachelor's
branch BC-AMT , 3. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch BC-EST , 3. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch BC-MET , 3. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch BC-SEE , 3. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
branch BC-TLI , 3. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, general knowledge
Type of course unit
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer