FEKT-BMDSAcad. year: 2017/2018
Multimedia Services course is divided into three parts. The first part is focused on network technologies and multimedia data transmission over the Internet network. Concretely, routing in IP networks, the multicast technology and quality of services will be introduced. The application layer protocols of TCP/IP model that are used for multimedia data distribution and control will receive special attention. A detailed description of today's videoconferencing and voice over IP technologies will be introduced in the second part of the course. The teaching is focused on the H.323 and SIP standards. The last part of the course is about compression algorithms for image, video and audio data. Mainly, the JPEG, H.26x, MPEG-x and G.7xx compression standards will be described.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to design and operate multimedia communication services, measure multimedia transport parameters in computer and telephony networks, VoIP services, videoconferences, IPTV.
The subject knowledge on the secondary school level is required.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ČÍKA, P. Multimediální služby. Skriptum VUT v Brně. 2012, ISBN: 978-80-214-4443- 0. (CS)
DAVIDSON, Jonathan, et al. Voice over IP Fundamentals. Indianopolis : Cisco Press, 2007. 394 s. (EN)
JACK, Keith. Video Demystified. 4th Edition. Oxford : Elsevier, 2005. 927 s. (EN)
FIRESTONE, Scott; RAMALINGAM, Thiya; FRY, Steve. Voice and Video Conferencing Fundamentals. Indianopolis : Cisco Press, 2007. 376 s. (EN)
ČÍKA, P. Přenos a komprese audio-video dat pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO (skripta). 2014. ISBN: 978-80-214-5061- 5.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Techning methods include lectures, computer laboratories and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation by points according to the recommendation of the CSP FEEC BUT (max. 100 points). Requirements for course completion are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, the Java language – basic information.
2. Java FX – multimedia application.
3. Multimedia data transmission in packet networks - I (ISO-OSI vs. TCP/IP, TCP-IP model - link layer, network layer - routing).
4. Multimedia data transmission in packet networks - II (TCP-IP model - network layer - multicast, quality of services QoS (Intserv, Diffserv)).
5. Multimedia data transmission in packet networks - III (TCP-IP model - transport layer - TCP/UDP protocols, application layer - RTP, RTSP, RTCP, SDP, SAP protocols).
6. Real-time audio/video communication I - (Videoconferencing, basic concept, H.323 standard).
7. Real-time audio/video communication II - (VoIP, SIP protocol - architecture, basic communication model).
8. Real-time audio/video communication III - (SIP protocol - advanced methods).
9. Bitmap image compression (bitmap image properties, Human visual system, JPEG, JPEG 2000 image compression standards).
10. Video compression I - (MPEG standards).
11. Video compression II - (Audio/video transmission methods described in MPEG - standards, program vs. transport stream, DVB, MHP - interactive services in HBBTV.
12. Video compression III - (H.26x standards).
13. Voice and audio compression - (G.7xx, CELP codecs, MPEG-1 audio codec).
The objective of this course is to provide practical skills in and fundamental theoretical knowledge of multimedia communication services in today‘s transport networks.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-B Bachelor's
branch B-TLI , 3. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme IBEP-T Bachelor's
branch T-IBP , 3. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory